• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SnowSkier
    • Jul 2007
    • 3.6.x

Adding Registration Question

Hi Forum

Due to continued problems with Spammers I have tried adding a question to the registration page. Ideally the person registering must get it correct otherwise they cannot proceed and register. I have read the following http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205214 which is as below

How to add an extra registration question to frustrate human-assisted bot registration?

AdminCP -> User Profile Fields -> Add New User Profile Field

Profile Field Type: Single-Line Text Field
    <<Continue>>

Use the following information when creating the Profile Field:
    Title: Can you spell?
    (Note: Adjust the title to the question you want to ask)
    Description: Enter the first character of the word "Monkey"
    (Note: Adjust the question. Don't use this example as it would be quickly picked up by bot registrations)
    Default Value: B
    (Note: anything but a valid answer)
    Field Required: No, but display at registration
    Field Editable by User: Only at registration
    Private Field: Yes
    Field Searchable on Members List: No
    Show on Members List: No
    Regular Expression: ^[mM]$
    (Note: this expression would only allow a 'm' or 'M' as valid answers, adjust to your needs)

I have managed to add my question to the registration page but there is a problem. Whatever answer is given (even incorrect answers) the registration process is accepted which is defeating the whole object. I must be doing something wrong. The question that I have set is "What is the name of the capital city of UIkraine?" The answer would be Kiev. Please could you tell me exactly where I add the name Kiev and how to ensure that if any other name / word is used in the answer then the person trying to register will fail and won't be able to register.

At the bottom of the above page the following is also mentioned but is not mentioned in the above guide. Is there anything here that needs to be modified.

Display Page

Which page displays this option?If you select "Edit Profile", this option will show up when viewing a user's profile. All other options are primarily used in conjunction with template conditionals to create additional options for your users.

Many thanks
    www.ukraineadventures.com
  • SnowSkier
    • Jul 2007
    • 3.6.x

I managed to resolve the problem I was having to get the above to work and I must say I highly recommend "adding a security question" to the registration page. I was experiencing massive Spammer problems and by adding my "security question" this has stopped the Spammers in their tracks. I hope they don't find ways to get around it.
    www.ukraineadventures.com

Comment

• petdoctorforum
      • Feb 2009

thanks,
      ive set this up too...
      lets see if it helps me get rid of the spammers.
      Just also got recaptcha and askimsmet (not sure if i spelt that last one correctly)...
      editor of the PetDoctorForum for pets and vets

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...