• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mbaratta
    • Oct 2006
    • 3.6.x

Session Variables in URL

Hi,

We have Vbulletin 3.6.4 on multiple frontend servers behind a load balancer running pound.

In firefox, IE7 and safari the forum displays "s=" and the session hash in the url. We feel this can be a security issue and it doesn't allow the logging in to the admin control panel or the mod control panel.

The network guy said he is not passing this at the load balancer and it must be vbulletin.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

That only appears if you are logging in without cookies. Clicking on the 'Remember me' box when you log in will eliminate that, assuming you are not blocking cookies.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• mbaratta
      • Oct 2006
      • 3.6.x

Steve,

We are not blocking cookies and I have clicked the "Remember Me" box.

I used the web developer toolbar in firefox to confirm that cookies are being set.

The session information also appears while navigating the site when you are not logged in.

Is this a security issue? We tried to exploit it to ensure a user couldn't but we didn't go that far.
      Thanks,

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

I can't see why the session hash would be a security issue or I'm pretty sure something would have come up by now. We've been using a session hash since 1.0. It shouldn't allow a session to be transfered between pc's nor does it create an admin session anywhere.

Here is the code that creates the session

PHP Code:
         $vbulletin->session =& new vB_Session($vbulletin$sessionhash$vbulletin->GPC[COOKIE_PREFIX 'userid'], $vbulletin->GPC[COOKIE_PREFIX 'password'], $styleid$languageid); 

Comment

• mbaratta
          • Oct 2006
          • 3.6.x

Thanks Steve and Zachery,

I'm only concerned because this only began happening a couple of days ago.

How can the session hash not allow me to login to the admincp or modcp in FF? I get stuck in a loop.

Thanks,

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

If you are clicking on 'Remember me' and not blocking cookies, then the only other possible cause of this is an add-on or your server is blocking cookies.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by mbaratta
              Thanks Steve and Zachery,

I'm only concerned because this only began happening a couple of days ago.

How can the session hash not allow me to login to the admincp or modcp in FF? I get stuck in a loop.

Thanks,
              We use a different session to validate administrators and moderators. its the cpsession table.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...