What template sets initial (new member) usergroupID?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MistyPotato
    • Nov 2006
    • 3.6.x

What template sets initial (new member) usergroupID?

When someone registers, and their account is approved, what template sets their initial UsergroupID?

thx
    Last edited by MistyPotato; Sun 5 Oct '08, 6:56pm.
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

No template sets it, it is predefined in the coding that a fully Registered (non-coppa, and email-confirmed) user goes to the Registered Usergroup, groupid 2.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• MistyPotato
      • Nov 2006
      • 3.6.x

Hi,

I found it.

It's set in the USER.PHP template and all I had to do is change the '2' to whatever usergroup I wanted the new members to go to.

Easy.

Thanks

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by MistyPotato
        Hi,

I found it.

It's set in the USER.PHP template and all I had to do is change the '2' to whatever usergroup I wanted the new members to go to.

Easy.

Thanks
        I would NOT do that. That usergroup id gets used in more places than just that script. If you don't want users to get moved to usergroup 2, then go to vb.org and there is a modification to put them in a different usergroup. Use that instead of what you just did.

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• MistyPotato
          • Nov 2006
          • 3.6.x

Thanks Lynne.

After searching vBulletin.org for about an hour, I came up pretty much empty handed.

I found one but there was a problem with people getting the message that their account was already activated when they tried to activate their account because the hack was setting them to a usergroup that was already activated or something like that.

Anyway, Im going to fiddle around with it on my testing server for a week or so and see what happens be3fore I move the changes to the User.php and register.php to my live forum.

Can't see how this would be that complex.

Instead of giving them a 2 (usergroupid) upon successful moderation, give them another, differnt usergoupid.

Clearly that is set in the User.php template.

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

user.php is not a template, its a php file. Also why do they need to go to another usergroup? Why not just make the usergroup with the usergroupid of 2 have th3e permissions you want?

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

Note: If you try to modify the vB code to change the default usergroup you will very likely break vB. You should do what Zach suggests.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• MistyPotato
                • Nov 2006
                • 3.6.x

I have 1000+ members all in the usergroup called Registered Users. (UGID 2)

I want New Registrations to be created with Usergroup as NEWBIES (UGID 39)

Usergroup 2 does have the Registered Users permissions I want.
                Usergroup 2 is my Registered Users usergroup.

Usergroup 1 is Admins

Usergroup 39 is NEWBIES

I want ALL new Registrations to be created as NEWBIES in Usergroup 39.

Can I easily Change all Registered Users (GUID 2) into a new USERGROUP with no consequences?

Comment

• Lynne
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Oct 2004

As always, I suggest you try this out on a test site prior to doing it on your live site.

Shut down forum temporarily.

Go to Usergroup Manager > Add New Usergroup
                  Create Usergroup Based On - Registered Usergroup > Go
                  Give it a new name - Registered Users - not n00bs
                  Create Permissions Based off of Usergroup > Registered Usergroup
                  Save
                  (You now have a new usergroup with the exact same permissions as the old Registered Usergroup and all the same permissions in the forums also)

Rename the Registered Usergroup (groupid 2) to NEWBIES

Now, go to Users > Prune/Move Users > select NEWBIES > 0 days > Find > select Move and the new usergroup, Registered Users - not n00bs, there and Continue.

Now make a Promotion (Usergroups > Promotions)
                  Add New
                  Usergroup - NEWBIES
                  Posts - x
                  Promotion Strat - Posts
                  Type - Primary
                  Move to - Registered Users - not n00bs
                  Save
                  (Set that promotion up however you want it - posts, number of days registered, whatever criteria to promote them).

Now you can also go to edit the NEWBIES usergroup to 'take away' permissions for newbies and also go to the Forum Manager and modify permissions for them also.

Comment

• MistyPotato
                    • Nov 2006
                    • 3.6.x

Thanks Lynne

Will do this.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...