X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pharkas
    • Sep 2003

Moderate first post from user

Hi,

This is probably easy to do but I don't know how to set it up.

I'm have some trouble with bots and would like to moderate the first post from all new user. If the post is spam, I would delete the user, if not, approve the user and let him post as much as he likes.

Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks !
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

Go to Usergroup Manager > Add New Usergroup
    Create Usergroup Based On - Registered Usergroup > Go
    Give it a new name - Registered Users - Approved
    Create Permissions Based off of Usergroup > Registered Usergroup
    Save

Now make a Promotion (Usergroups > Promotions)
    Add New
    Usergroup - Registered Users
    Posts - 1
    Promotion Strat - Posts
    Type - Primary
    Move to - Registered Users - Approved
    Save

Usergroup Manager - go to edit Registred Users
    Follow Forum Moderation Rules - No
    Save

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• pharkas
      • Sep 2003

Hi,

Perfect, worked great, thanks !

One last thing, how would I set it up so that I get a notification email when there's a new post/thread to be moderated ?

Thanks again !
      Last edited by pharkas; Wed 3 Sep '08, 10:57am.

Comment

• peterska2
        • Oct 2003
        • 3.7.x

Sorry, there is no function to do this. This requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.

Please note: If there are threads or posts awaiting moderation, this will be advised in the AdminCP homepage.

Comment

• pharkas
          • Sep 2003

Adding the moderation for the first post of each user workded great.

My forum is now clean from these spam posts.

However, I'm still having a huge amount of spammers registering on my site.

How do I activate new user moderation ?

Thanks !

Comment

• Lynne
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by pharkas
            Adding the moderation for the first post of each user workded great.

My forum is now clean from these spam posts.

However, I'm still having a huge amount of spammers registering on my site.

How do I activate new user moderation ?

Thanks !
            vboptions > user registration options > moderate new members

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• jasonyetter
              • Jun 2007
              • 3.6.x

After I create the promotion,
              What do I rebuild or update to promote the existing registered users,
              to register users- approved. Thanks.

Comment

• Lynne
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Oct 2004

You should run the User Promotions Scheduled Task.

(I should have added in my other post that I always suggest trying out new things on a test forum first.)

Comment

• jasonyetter
                  • Jun 2007
                  • 3.6.x

Thank you for your instant reply. Worked great. J

Comment

• Dark Lord
                    • Jan 2008

I have just tried to set this up. I followed the instructions exactly and ran the scheduled task for the promotion which moved everyone with more than 5 posts into the new approved member category but posts are still being made by those with less than 5 posts and they're not going into the moderation queue like they should. I have definitely set the Follow Forum Moderation Rules to No for Registered Users.

What could I be doing wrong ?

I use 3.7.0 btw, didn't realise this was the 3.6 forum.
                    Last edited by Dark Lord; Wed 22 Oct '08, 5:11am.

Comment

• Lynne
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Dark Lord
                      I have just tried to set this up. I followed the instructions exactly and ran the scheduled task for the promotion which moved everyone with more than 5 posts into the new approved member category but posts are still being made by those with less than 5 posts and they're not going into the moderation queue like they should. I have definitely set the Follow Forum Moderation Rules to No for Registered Users.

What could I be doing wrong ?

I use 3.7.0 btw, didn't realise this was the 3.6 forum.
                      Follow Forum Moderation Rules can also be set on a Forum by Forum basis. Go to Forums & Moderators > View Permissions > find the forums and the Registered Usergroup and check the permissions.

Comment

• Dark Lord
                        • Jan 2008

Thanks Lynne, I had to change the Forum Permissions too

Comment

• westcan
                          • Jan 2008
                          • 4.0.x

Problem with Permissions

Hi Lynne,

I followed your instructions but in the first part while I'm creating the "Registered Users - Approved" usergroup I don't see any options in the pull down menu for "Create Permissions Based off of Usergroup". I only see "--- None ---" displayed.

I went through all the other steps but found that I have to moderate each post for the user. I also found that if I manually move a user to the "Registered Users - Approved" group it still promots to moderate each post (even after the 1st).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
                          Brent

Comment

• Lynne
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by westcan
                            Hi Lynne,

I followed your instructions but in the first part while I'm creating the "Registered Users - Approved" usergroup I don't see any options in the pull down menu for "Create Permissions Based off of Usergroup". I only see "--- None ---" displayed.
                            Click on it to make it drop-down so you can select another group. If nothing else is showing, then I'm not sure what is wrong - it should have a list of other usergroups. I suppose to can try to troubleshoot what is going on by reuploading the page or turning off plugins, etc. But normally, it should have a drop-down of all your other usergroups.

Originally posted by westcan
                            I went through all the other steps but found that I have to moderate each post for the user. I also found that if I manually move a user to the "Registered Users - Approved" group it still promots to moderate each post (even after the 1st).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
                            Brent
                            If you skipped the step on basing it off of another usergroup, then I would guess you need to go through and set all the permissions individually in the usergroup. Also, as I mentioned above, check out your Forum Permissions to set if the different forums have them set to have moderated posts.

Comment

• westcan
                              • Jan 2008
                              • 4.0.x

Thanks Lynne -- I totally know what you mean by the drop-down menu -- but for some reason there are no options listed.

I tried to set it up manually -- it worked after I modified each forum to not require the posts to be moderated.

There is a message that is displayed after the first post of a new user stating that the message will need ot be moderated -- do you know how to control how long that message is displayed? (it disappears rather quickly).

Thanks

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...