X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kirkus
    • Mar 2007
    • 3.6.x

Duplicating a vBulletin Installation and Cookies

I would like to create an exact copy of my current live forum (running 3.6.10) on a different domain name (same server) to use as a "run-through" installation for upgrading to 3.7.2.

I've read and understand the "Moving Servers" chapter of the Tech. Docs. in the manual and am comfortable with doing everything... except when it comes to the cookies.

On my live forum, the Cookie Path is set to "/", but the Domain Name is set to my domain name.

My question is: Can I shut down my live forum, change the Cookie Domain to "/", backup the database in preparation to copy it, then change the Cookie Domain back to my domain name and turn my live forum back on without screwing anything up for my members?

Also, does the cookie domain issue have anything to do with the vBulletin files, or just the database.
  • peterska2
    • Oct 2003
    • 3.7.x

The best way to do this is to backup then after restoring to the test database use tools.php to reset the cookie domain.

Your method will work though, so you can do it that way if you prefer. Be aware though that any mistakes made when editing your cookie domain and cookie path may result in being unable to log into your forum.

Comment

• Kirkus
      • Mar 2007
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Kerry-Anne
      The best way to do this is to backup then after restoring to the test database use tools.php to reset the cookie domain.

Your method will work though, so you can do it that way if you prefer. Be aware though that any mistakes made when editing your cookie domain and cookie path may result in being unable to log into your forum.
      Thank you, Kerry-Anne. I'll do it your way.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...