Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jason Dunn
    • Jul 2006

How do I enable wildcard searches?

I've spent 15 minutes searching on Google, these forums, and the official manual, and I've struck out on what seems like a simple question: how do I enable wildcard searches in my forums?

I've found posts here that reference 2.x structures that don't exist any more, and posts for 3.x that reference going into the usergroup manager and enabling boolean searches, but I can find no reference to "boolean" or "wildcards" in the user group settings.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

You will have to upgrade to at least 3.6 to do this.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Jason Dunn
      • Jul 2006

Thanks for the quick response Steve, it's appreciated!

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      You will have to upgrade to at least 3.6 to do this.
      I'm running 3.6.9 right now. What's the specific thing I need to look for though? And did I miss it in the manual?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Jason Dunn
        Thanks for the quick response Steve, it's appreciated!

I'm running 3.6.9 right now. What's the specific thing I need to look for though? And did I miss it in the manual?
        Then you shouldn't be posting in the 3.0 forum

<Moved>

First, you need to enable fulltext searching:

Admin CP -> vBuletin Options -> Search Type

Then you need to set 'Can Use Boolean Search' to 'Yes' in the Usergroup settings.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Jason Dunn
          • Jul 2006

Thanks, got it working now - after my server essentially locked up for an hour running the update. I saw the warning about it taking "10 seconds to an hour", but I didn't realize that also meant it would use up every ounce of CPU and I/O that my server had. I'd love to see that warning be a bit more...blunt.

Comment

• Jerz
            • Apr 2007
            • 3.8.x

Well rebuilding the index is quite an intensive process, which is kind of implied. However I agree it would be nice to add to that message for people who don't quite understand.

Comment

• Jason Dunn
              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by CHIPIT
              Well rebuilding the index is quite an intensive process, which is kind of implied. However I agree it would be nice to add to that message for people who don't quite understand.
              Well, I'm one user who didn't understand what was "implied" - I didn't grasp that it was a full re-indexing of the boards. A clearer warning would be very helpful to those of us who are not yet vBulletin gurus.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...