X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • netsultants
    • Oct 2007

Unregistered user group - setup thread permissions

Hi,

I have setup a Vbulletin board allowing Unregistered users the ability to view most threads and posts.

I want to restrict a subsection so that you must be a registered user to read posts. Though unregistered people can view the thread titles.

I have done this and the forums say Private and when you click it says "There are no posts in this forum."

So people think there are no posts in the Forum and it doesn't say something like "You must register to view this subsection"

Is there a way when people click a forum like this to let people know they need to register to view instead of just saying "There are no posts"?
  • netsultants
    • Oct 2007

Have I made myself clear?

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

Try this:

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager -> Edit Usergroup (Unregistered) -> Post / Thread Permissions -> Can View Thread Content -> No
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• netsultants
        • Oct 2007

Steve thanks for the reply but I might not be making myself clear - I'll try again.

I want unregistered users to be able to view most threads and posts.

In a few forums I want to block their ability to read the posts, though they can still see the forum.

I did basically what you suggested at the individual forum level and blocked their viewing. It worked correctly.

The issue I have, is when they click on the forum it doesn't say "you must register to view".... it says "There are no posts in this forum". So it doesn't motivate the unregistered viewer to register. Which is what I'm trying to do. I want, when an unregistered user views a thread that has "non viewable" content for them to see a message that they must register to see it......

Is that clearer?

Comment

• Steve Machol
          • Jul 2000

You can set the same permission in the Forum Permissions section of Forums & Moderators.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• netsultants
            • Oct 2007

Right, I did that -

How do I get it to say "you must register to view"....instead of "There are no posts in this forum".

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

Edit the appropriate phrase. All language is in Phrases. Do a 'Search in Phrases' for the specific language you are looking for (for larger phrases it's best to search for just a small section of the phrase), then edit the appropriate Phrase.

Admin CP -> Languages & Phrases -> Search in Phrases

Note: To edit a phrase, place the new phrase in the available language text boxes.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• netsultants
                • Oct 2007

lol

Ok, I guess that would work. But then threads that really have no posts in them are going to say "you must register to view" even if the person is already registered and there is nothing to view.

Seems like there should be a way to incentivise an unregistered user to register. I just feel like I'm missing something........

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

Yeah, unfortunately that's true. But threads cannot have no posts. And if you mean forums, then why have a forum if there are no posts.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• netsultants
                    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                    ........... then why have a forum if there are no posts.
                    Intentionally, you wouldn't Just starting this board though and it does happen. I guess I'll have to post.......

Thanks

Comment

• netsultants
                      • Oct 2007

Ok,

I knew I had something wrong - I had setup "can view Others' threads to "no" and that caused the "There are no posts in this forum"

This is how the permissions should be to get "register"

Can View Forum Yes

Can View Thread Content No

Can View Others' Threads Yes

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...