X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • minx
    • Nov 2003
    • 3.8.x

3.6.10 crashing SDX server?

Hi there, i was wondering if you could help me, my host has just disabled my account temporarily as they says it's crashing the sql server they have...

They say my forums index.php is causing the problem, i only have about 20 members on at a time....

I have some info below but i don't know what to do... please advise

Code:
    removed by me
    "We had no choice but to disable web access for your account to stabilize the server as these processes are over loading the server. Please optimize your code/script to avoid these heavy resource consuming apache usage or upgrade your account to our dedicated package. If this is normal traffic for your domain, then you need to upgrade to a dedicated server. You can find all the required info in the following link."
    Last edited by minx; Tue 29 Apr '08, 7:55am.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Unfortunately, there is not much optimization that can be done on a shared hosting environment. Most of the optimization occurs in the MySQL configuration and that simply isn't done by shared hosting providers. Most of them run MySQL in a default installation state which is very resource intensive. If they will enable your account long enough for you to turn off the forums, then you can remove products and plugins which add query load to help stabilize the server. The most common culprits overloading shared services are shoutbox and chat addons. These often consume more resources than the entire vBulletin application.

You can also try disabling the features listed here:

Other than that you will most likely need to look for a new host with less overcrowding on their servers or one that offers VPS and semi-dedicated packages. If you do move providers then look at www.webhostingtalk.com and find someone who is knowledgeable about dynamic web applications and will work with you as your site grows. These providers are more ethical and realize that enabling your site to grow and become more prosperous is in their best interests as well.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• minx
      • Nov 2003
      • 3.8.x

Hi thanks for that reply....

I actually asked them to restore my account so i can turn off my forums and disable plugins etc etc etc and get to the bottom of this issue...

Now would you believe I'm on a semi-dedicated server

I'm not sure why this is happening out of the blue... anyways i'll close the forums, disable all plugs etc and see how it runs.... hows about going for 3.7? would that help? - i asked them to install APC a week ago and they did... seems to work well... and besides installing Joomla last night into my main vB database (but it closed and private at the moment) i don't think it would be that... maybe the J-fusion vB bridge for Joomla perhaps... hmmm... anyways i'll report back... and thanks

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

What versions of PHP and MySQL is running on the server? As a semi-dedicated the provider can easily poll the customers and see if they can upgrade to PHP 5.2.5 and MySQL 5.0.51. That allow will give you performance increases over older versions.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...