• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Exportforce
    • Apr 2008
    • 3.6.x

How to Export VB-Only Data?

Hello,

I run a few VBulletinforums and since 3.7 nears very fast I wonder how I can export my 3.6.X Databasestuff that I will only extract the VBulletin core stuff, so I can "upgrade" from a CLEAN database.

I want to make this step because it would take too much time to do all tpl-edits by hand and all profile-stuff won't work anymore too.

So can I somehow just export it so, that I get a clean DB?

thx
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

Importing to "clean" the database or "start fresh" is not a good solution. An import will only introduce more problems. For example, the various autoincrement values are not preserved in an import so all previous internal links and bookmarks will be broken.

You should manually remove your customizations. There are 4 kinds of hacks:
    1. File hacks. These can be removed by uploading the original files from the zip file.
    2. Plugins & Products. These can be disabled / removed in your Admin CP:

Admin CP -> Plugins & Products -> Product Manager -> Uninstall (in each product menu)

Admin CP -> Plugins & Products -> Plugin Manager

...or by adding this line to the includes/config.php file:

Code:
      define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);
    3. Template hacks. These can be removed by reverting the customized templates in your:

Admin CP -> Styles & Templates -> Style Manager -> Revert All Templates (in the menu)
    4. Database hacks. You need to use a program like phpmyadmin to browse your database and remove custom tables and fields.

Comment

• Exportforce
      • Apr 2008
      • 3.6.x

I tried disableing and "uninstalling" all addons and stuff, but this goes only to errors like Hell.

I mean, there are thousends of big boards that have tons of users and tons of posts/threads and they updated from 3.6 to 3.7 with only their own styles, so it has to be possible.
      So I thought th VB-Team would have an DB-Import tool that only imports the crucial stuff, like user + passwords, threads, posts, etc.
      So that I can upload the 3.7.X and do something like "DB-Update"... =/

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
        • Sep 2001

Since my "db" was technically from 2.0.3 with probably hundreds of left over table modifications from various mods we've installed over the years, I figured a clean start with 3.7 would be nice.

I installed a new 3.6.9 forum and used impex to import everything from the existing db. Then I upgraded that to 3.7. Process went great overall but I made the mistake of importing then pruning. Prune first, then import, it will make the process quicker.
        Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Exportforce
          • Apr 2008
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
          I installed a new 3.6.9 forum and used impex to import everything from the existing db.
          Never took a look at this ImpEx.
          I'll take a look at this tool.

Comment

• Exportforce
            • Apr 2008
            • 3.6.x

Sorry for bumping this, but any idea?
            I tried so much but can't get it to work.

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

There is no export option available. What can't you get to work and what are you doing exactly?
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Exportforce
                • Apr 2008
                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                There is no export option available. What can't you get to work and what are you doing exactly?
                I have multiple Forums I have to update on 3.7 when it gets out.
                All Forums have mods.
                One of my Boards, with the most mods, I backed up and tried to "upgrade" it, but it failed miserably. I was not able to get the board to work.
                I also tried to "uninstall" all mods that had the option and the rest was being disabled and I was not able to to become it functional.

Comment

• Exportforce
                  • Apr 2008
                  • 3.6.x

Sorry for bumping, but I couldn't find a way until now

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    Former Customer Support Manager
                    • Jul 2000

The only supported and recommended way to upgrade is as per the documentation.

One *unsupported* way you can try is to install a new copy of vB to a new database, then use Impex to import the old data to the new one. Please read the online Impex import instructions here:

Also please view the 'After the Import' instructions here:

Note: This will change all your existing user, post, thread and forum ID numbers. So all posted links will no longer work, as well as search engine results from prior to this import.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• moddis
                      • Jun 2007
                      • 3.6.x

Lol, will have to deal with the same problem very soon. All input in this thread will be great.

Comment

• Exportforce
                        • Apr 2008
                        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                        The only supported and recommended way to upgrade is as per the documentation.

One *unsupported* way you can try is to install a new copy of vB to a new database, then use Impex to import the old data to the new one. Please read the online Impex import instructions here:

Also please view the 'After the Import' instructions here:

Note: This will change all your existing user, post, thread and forum ID numbers. So all posted links will no longer work, as well as search engine results from prior to this import.
                        Thx.
                        Thats a rough one, but still better than having maybe to kill everything and startover and the searchengines will get the new links after some days. I'll try that out. Wish me good luck

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...