Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anung Mwka
    • Feb 2008

Delete a User While not having Username set to Guest

I wish to a delete user, but I dont want the username set to guest when I delete the user, is there a way to do it, or will have to manually edit the db?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

The username on the posts does not change when you delete a user.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Anung Mwka
      • Feb 2008

Hi...

Then why do I get this when I goto delete a user?
      Are you sure you want to delete the user called '(s/n)'?
      (userid: 17)

All posts made by this user will be set to 'Guest'

This action can not be undone.

Comment

• peterska2
        • Oct 2003
        • 3.7.x

The user title will be set to guest and the username will go to a smaller font which is unclickable but the username will still remain unchanged.

For example, this thread contains a guest post:

Compare the way that the username and user title appear in comparison to the username and usertitle of a registered user.

Comment

• MS007
          • Apr 2008
          • 3.6.x

Hello, not sure if this will help you or not...

If you want to keep the ability to search for a deleted users posts and still show their post count you cannot delete the user. That will set their posts as "guest" but will show the former member's name, and the post count becomes "n/a".

In our forum, we created a new usergroup for resigned or deleted accounts. This does not delete the account but allows you to deactivate it as you choose. You could also move the user to the default moderation user group.

This will still allow access to the user's profile but you can keep the name off the memberlist and not change the appearance of threads and posts.

You can also change the user title to reflect whether it is a deactivated user or not.

Comment

• imager
            • May 2006

Originally posted by MS007
            Hello, not sure if this will help you or not...

If you want to keep the ability to search for a deleted users posts and still show their post count you cannot delete the user. That will set their posts as "guest" but will show the former member's name, and the post count becomes "n/a".

In our forum, we created a new usergroup for resigned or deleted accounts. This does not delete the account but allows you to deactivate it as you choose. You could also move the user to the default moderation user group.

This will still allow access to the user's profile but you can keep the name off the memberlist and not change the appearance of threads and posts.

You can also change the user title to reflect whether it is a deactivated user or not.
            Is there any way of using a new user group for resigned accounts - as you suggested - and preventing a profile page from being accessible?

Ian

Comment

• MS007
              • Apr 2008
              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by imager
              Is there any way of using a new user group for resigned accounts - as you suggested - and preventing a profile page from being accessible?

Ian
              I think you can make it not accessible by the resigned user group but your regular members will still have access to it...

Sorry, I am really not certain on this...

Comment

• Nick
                • Feb 2008
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by MS007
                I think you can make it not accessible by the resigned user group but your regular members will still have access to it...

Sorry, I am really not certain on this...
                This is correct... you can prevent members of that Deactivated group from only viewing/editing their own profiles and from viewing other profiles on the forum.

You cannot set an option so other groups cannot see the Deactivated group members' profiles.
                Regards,
                Nick

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...