Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill-SWJ
    • Sep 2005

Mail only half works

I have moved to a new server, so no doubt that's at the root of this evil. But the partial functioning is throwing me for a loop, so I'm seeking any suggestions.

These mail functions work just fine:
    - mail test through diagnositics area
    - new user registration confirmation link
    - happy birthday messages (I think)

But at least the following do NOT work:
    - new user welcome (completed registration)
    - new user notification to administrator
    - notification of PM

By "work" I mean I get the mail. By "not work" I mean I don't. I have checked spam box on the receiving end, and that's not it.

I am trying this now with the -f parameter enabled, nothing seems to have changed.

Any ideas?

I'll be poking around in mail logs once I find them, per the responses to some of the prior similar threads. But I don't know what I'm doing in there.

FYI, I'm on a Linux / Apache / MySQL / PHP dedicated server, using Google apps for my mail server.
    Last edited by Bill-SWJ; Fri 11 Apr '08, 7:09am.
  • Bill-SWJ
    • Sep 2005

P.S. I'm using the php Mail() function.

Comment

• Steve Machol
      Former Customer Support Manager
      • Jul 2000

vB uses the server for it's email. If there are problems, then the issue is either with the server itself or on the receiving end.

Please see this page for help troubleshooting email problems:

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Bill-SWJ
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Steve Machol
        vB uses the server for it's email. If there are problems, then the issue is either with the server itself or on the receiving end.
        Sure, yes, got it.

Strikes me as weird that it consistently works for some kinds of messages, not for others. I thought that might suggest to someone what the issue might be. With the server. Or the receiving end.

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

It's most likely spam filters that are targeting certain things over others.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Bill-SWJ
            • Sep 2005

I'm chasing down a problem similar to this old one. Again on a new server, now on 3.8.6. Mail seems to be going out fine to all, but is not being received by anyone using an email address within my domain.

I think the issue now (and back in '08) was that the php mail() function is sending things "internal" to the domain based on some server settings / PHP config, rather than looking as far as the MX records which would push the mail to my Google Apps.

I am providing that info now for posterity and the future reference to those searching the archives, and also because I sure wish I could remember what I did to fix that now and sort of hope one of you smart folk can dope slap me and posterity.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...