How to remove "new thread" option?(read more)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PPF
    • Jan 2008
    • 3.6.x

How to remove "new thread" option?(read more)

I have a section that when clicked has 2 subforums for posting but then still says "new thread" in the main category before going into the subforums. ex: http://pixelperfectforum.com/forums/...splay.php?f=40 there are my two subforums but this main sections still says "new thread" where people can post outside of the subforums which i dont want. how can i get rid of that?
    PixelPerfectForum.com
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

admin cp > forums & moderators > forum manager > select the forum (animals) to edit > Act as Forum > No

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• PPF
      • Jan 2008
      • 3.6.x

When doing that, it does what I want it to do. but it makes the Animals section become like a header (makes it orange like a section header on my site) that can be clicked. Just trying to if you open "Animals" and then you see the 2 subforums and below them it says "new thread" to try and get rid of that "new thread" so you can only post in the subforums
      PixelPerfectForum.com

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

You are right.... um, what about if you set Forum is Open to No? I know I used to know how to do this cuz I've done it before. I just don't have any of my forums set up that way at the moment.

If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

Comment

• PPF
          • Jan 2008
          • 3.6.x

Ok that works. Only problem with that is that it then displays next to animals that the forum is closed and you only can see its not if you go into the subforums. Anyway to make the "forum is closed to posting-for me a red camera" on the main page not be like that? so it still displays either "forum contains new posts" or "forum contains no new posts"?
          PixelPerfectForum.com

Comment

• Lynne
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Oct 2004

Do you have any other locked forums? One option is vboptions > Forum Listings Display Options > Show Lock Icons to Users > No That might do it. Otherwise, I'm not really sure what to do unless you use conditionals in your template to say "if forumid=animal, don't show lock icon" type thing.

Comment

• DivineMessage
              • Feb 2008

New solution:

Go into the forums permissions

edit all usergroups and uncheck the 'allow to post thread' option.

That is how I do it.

Comment

• Lynne
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by DivineMessage
                New solution:

Go into the forums permissions

edit all usergroups and uncheck the 'allow to post thread' option.

That is how I do it.
                Yeah, but doesn't that still leave the New Thread buttons, which is what he is trying to get rid of?

Comment

• DivineMessage
                  • Feb 2008

lol Yeah I just realized that I have the new thread buttons on mine too, never noticed that before. that option should remove the new thread button from the page you'd think.

Comment

• PPF
                    • Jan 2008
                    • 3.6.x

I think that works. What if in the future I want to lock out a forum and have it display that it is closed for posting since I turned that off now?
                    PixelPerfectForum.com

Comment

• Lynne
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Oct 2004

Originally posted by PPF
                      I think that works. What if in the future I want to lock out a forum and have it display that it is closed for posting since I turned that off now?
                      Well, maybe by then they will either fix it so if you don't have posting rights, you don't see the New Thread button, or another way is to write in the Description "Forum is closed to posting." or something like that to let people know.

Comment

• PPF
                        • Jan 2008
                        • 3.6.x

Thanks for the help
                        PixelPerfectForum.com

Comment

• JoeSchmo23
                          • Sep 2010

Is there another way to resolve this without removing the 'forum is locked' icon ?

We DO have some locked forums - so I need to keep that icon active.

But I also need to remove the 'new thread' button in the categories. All the categories are properly set to 'act as forum = no'

We're using vb 4.0.6

Thanks!!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...