X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ipscone
    • Jul 2002

I'm confused 3.6.2 to 3.6.8 Level 2 Patch

A couple of questions.

1) I installed version 3.6.2, before I actually paid for the license. Oops! I wanted to make sure I could do this before I bought the license. Anyway, I used the customer ID from a previous installation, not realizing that it copied my license number to the new installation.

It's installed, running fine (v 3.6.2) and I have purchased the owned license, for the new installation. But it has the wrong license. Any way to fix that license issue for 3.6.2, without having to reinstall the whole thing?

2) Also, I see in the Control Panel that there is a 3.6.8 Level 2 patch. There is a link to download that patch. It is just 3 files. Do I have to do anthing more than copy those 3 files to my system to be upgraded?

OR, do I have to install each of these patches, from 3.6.2 up to 3.6.8 Patch Level 2:
    Security patch 3.6.8 Patch Level 2 (for 3.6.8 / 3.6.8 Patch Level 1, included in 3.6.8 Patch Level 2+)
    Security patch for 3.6.7 (included in 3.6.7 Patch Level 1+)
    Security patch for 3.6.6 (included in 3.6.7 Patch Level 1+)
    Security patch for 3.6.4 (included in 3.6.5+)
    Security patch for 3.6.3 (included in 3.6.4+)
    Security patch for 3.6.2 (included in 3.6.3+)

And would this complete upgrade be anything other than copying these files from each patch (3.6.2 to 3.6.8) in that order, to my web site. And, if I have to install each of these, why does my control panel just mention 3.6.8 Level 2 and not the other patches that might be required? Any upgrade scripts required to be run, in going from 3.6.2 to 3.6.8 Level 2? If now, how does vBulletin know that I went from 3.6.2 to 3.6.8 Level 2.

3) So, exactly (and specifically) do I have to do to go from 3.6.2 full version, to 3.6.8 Level 2 and fix the license issue?

I realize, if I did this in the right order, I could have downloaded the full version of 3.6.8 Level 2 but now I have 3.6.2 and need to get to 3.6.8 Level 2.
    Last edited by ipscone; Tue 26 Feb '08, 8:34pm.
  • Reeve of Shinra
    • Sep 2001

To upgrade, you will need to:

- upload all of those files to your server replacing the original files
    - run the upgrade file at www.yoursite.com/forum/install/upgrade.php

And you should be set.
    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• ipscone
      • Jul 2002

You say "log into your members area and download the latest files" but my problem is WHICH files? Do I have to download each of the Upgrade files or just the patch files.

This is the problem with simplistic answers. They are easy to understand, if you already know how to do it. But if one doesn't, then there is not enough information.

Example: I am currently at 3.6.2. If I download ONLY the 3.6.2 patch file, does that make my version 3.6.3? Is it only the patch files that need to be downloaded?

And how do I fix the incorrect license number that is listed in the installation. I accidentally used the wrong code and now have the same license on two different sites, even though both have purchased licenses.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

You have to do a complete upgrade. Download the full 3.6.8 PL2, upload those files and upgrade normally. Please view the upgrade documentation here:

Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• ipscone
          • Jul 2002

Ok, I got the full package. And I will copy all the files to the server, just like in the original installation. But, instead of running the "install" scripte, I execute the Upgrade script. That should do it, right?

1) Will it fix the license Issue?
          2) Will it preserve my existing database?

Comment

• peterska2
            • Oct 2003
            • 3.7.x

Yes, yes, and yes.

Make sure that you don't overwrite your config.php file or your forums won't work. You will need to delete install.php from the package too otherwise you wont be able to access your AdminCP.

Comment

• ipscone
              • Jul 2002

All done! And painless.

Thanks,

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...