X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nirvana_S
    • Feb 2008
    • 3.6.x

Editing Thread Titles

I've noticed that only the administrators can edit thread titles and not the members or moderators. Does anybody know why?
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Can Edit Threads is a moderator permission that is set when you assign a moderator. The default should be Yes in a forum that the moderator is assigned to. You can edit these settings under "Forums & Moderators -> Show All Moderators".
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Nirvana_S
      • Feb 2008
      • 3.6.x

It says they can, but they are saying that they can't. The super moderators can. But the members can't. I remember in an older version of vBulletin the members were allowed to edit their own thread titles.

Comment

• Lynne
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Nirvana_S
        It says they can, but they are saying that they can't. The super moderators can. But the members can't. I remember in an older version of vBulletin the members were allowed to edit their own thread titles.
        There is an option in vbulletin options which puts a time limit on how long thread titles can be edited. You may want to check that.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Nirvana_S
          • Feb 2008
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by U2Lynne
          There is an option in vbulletin options which puts a time limit on how long thread titles can be edited. You may want to check that.
          Well the mods and members can edit their threads, but the edited title doesn't show up in the forum part.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

You need to use Thread Tools:

Also please note this setting:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Message Posting and Editing Options -> Time Limit on Editing of Thread Title

If you edit your post outside of this time limit, the thread title won't be updated.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Nirvana_S
              • Feb 2008
              • 3.6.x

I did that and it's still not working. The members aren't able to edit thier threads right after they've posted it. The members and moderators' permissions are set so they are allowed to edit their own threads.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                • Dec 2000
                • 3.6.x

If you are within this time limit then you can edit the thread title by editing the first post in the thread:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Message Posting and Editing Options -> Time Limit on Editing of Thread Title

Note that a value of 0 does not make it unlimited, but rather it makes it so users can never edit their thread titles. If you want it effectively unlimited then you need to set it to a huge number, like 999999999.

Otherwise admins and mods can use the Edit Thread option from the Thread Tools menu. Regular users cannot access this option.

Comment

• Nirvana_S
                  • Feb 2008
                  • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
                  If you are within this time limit then you can edit the thread title by editing the first post in the thread:

Note that a value of 0 does not make it unlimited, but rather it makes it so users can never edit their thread titles. If you want it effectively unlimited then you need to set it to a huge number, like 999999999.

Otherwise admins and mods can use the Edit Thread option from the Thread Tools menu. Regular users cannot access this option.
                  Ah it works! Thank you very much!

Comment

• Mika
                    • Mar 2001

Originally posted by Jake Bunce

Is there a reason why users can't change the title (of thread they have created) themselves after that time limit? Is that "workaround" (setting that time limit to a huge number) safe?

I'm just wondering if that was possible in earlier versions why is it not anymore? I guess there must be a reason for that ...?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      Former Customer Support Manager
                      • Jul 2000

No it wasn't possible in earlier versions. Nothing has changed.
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Frikiluma
                        • Apr 2006
                        • 3.6.x

My own thread conditional.

This is very usefull, ¿ is there a mod can do this ?.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...