• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Markowitch
    • Nov 2005

Partial Backup - accidential deletion

Hi vBulletin folks!

I hope this is the right category?
    Ok, my problem is this: My administrator has deleted a forum on her board by accident!

What I did, was setting up vbulletin on her local PC and populating the database with the latest one month old backup (yeah it's an old backup). She is now moving all the threads in that particular forum by hand to the website.

This is quite a boring task and I wonder if there is anyway to automate it? Can I export a forum with all it's threads to a flat file and then import it on the website, or should I do some SQL magic?

Note: I can't do a complete backup with Impex because stuff has happend on the website in the last month, such as new users and new posts in other forums. Or can I??
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

There is no easy way to merge two databases like you are trying to do.

Originally posted by Markowitch
    This is quite a boring task and I wonder if there is anyway to automate it? Can I export a forum with all it's threads to a flat file and then import it on the website, or should I do some SQL magic?
    That is possible. I did it on my forum once. But it is very tedious and you need to be very careful. There are many joined records to consider (threads, posts, polls, attachments, subscriptions, etc). Unfortunately I cannot help with this. Normally you would restore the backup as a whole.

Comment

• Markowitch
      • Nov 2005

Thanks for the reply Jake. I'll guess she (the administrator) just have to merge manually then... Btw. is there any documentation on the database schema? I'm especially thinking about the relations between tables.

If I get enough free time on my hands (yeah right) I might do some scripting of the merge process in php.

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

There is no such documentation that I am aware of. But the relations are usually pretty evident. Any "id" field in a table is usually a joined record. For example, thread.pollid is a joined record for the poll table.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...