X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CSOSulla
    • Jan 2005

Moving To New Domain

Hi,

I have read quite a bit here about moving to a new server, I have a question.

I want to kill the old domain and move the forums to a new domain, can this be done? If so is it the same procedure with the obvious additional work as moving servers?

Anyone have any experience moving to a new domain?

Many thanks in advance,

Cheers - Shaun
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Is it just a new domain? Same server? Or is it anew domain and new server?

Comment

• Carlos X
      Banned
      • Jan 2006
      • 3.6.x

No, I don't think it's that hard. Just change your domain in your members area section...that is, if you know your member number.

Pull the plug on your old domain, and set your server with the new domain.

Comment

• CSOSulla
        • Jan 2005

Is it just a new domain? Same server? Or is it anew domain and new server?
        Its both new server and new domian, but the forums are pretty big, with: Threads: 12,940, Posts: 106,401, Members: 7,664.

The DB backup without attachments is 280mgs +. Has anyone got any experience of actually doing this?

Moving to a new server AND domain? The site I am moving is 11 years old and a gaming site and I really don't want to trash it or lose it. Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Cheers - Shaun

Comment

• CSOSulla
          • Jan 2005

More Detailed Help

Hia Guys,

I have backed up both site files and VB databse, but now need to restore on the new server and domain.

All the items I have been able to find talk about telnet and SSH etc, is there any other way of doing this as I have no idea how to go about using telnet etc to do this.

Many thanks in advance,

Cheers - Shaun

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

The only consistently reliable method of backing up and restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. This is because backing up with a PHP script like that in the Admin CP or phpMyAdmin can result in PHP timeout errors and an incomplete backup file.

Please see the instructions here:

Backup:

Restore:

If you don't have telnet or SSH access, some people have reported success with these scripts:

MySQLDumper:

MySQLHotxcopy:
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• CSOSulla
              • Jan 2005

Ongoing

Hia All,

I am still moving the DB of my old forums to the new server and domain.

This has/is not proving easy.

Ok, so far.

Old Server And Domain
              No Shell SSH access.
              Backed up DB using php myadmin and did so 3 times, got a file 394mgs total every time.

New Server and Domain
              Has Shell SSH/Telnet access
              I have the new server up and running and fully propogated.
              I have uploaded the backup sql file to the new server.
              I installed the exact same version of the forum software as the backup came from.

I have had my host try 2 times to restore the DB and so far no luck. This could have been due to server and name-server propogation issues etc.

Is there anyone here who can help out? This is an 11 year old forum and its run as a charity site, running on donations etc. I am desperate to get the forums back up and running and to start rebuilding the main site etc.

Any help would be much appreciated. You can email me here: [email protected] or PM me here.

Many thanks for any help - Cheers Shaun

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

If you need further support please open a ticket.

Comment

• harleybaka
                  • Mar 2008
                  • 3.6.x

Yeah, I'm trying to do the same thing with a really small forum.

I'm trying to move from one host/server with one domain to another host/server with a new domain.

And I cannot find anywhere in the documentation how exactly someone DOES that.

I've got the db backup. It's a whopping 12 meg file. Not very big at all.

But seriously I have no idea how I'm supposed to do what. From what I've read in the documentation, you back up the db on the current forum, move files folders then the doc begins to get hard to understand - at the crucial point of "HOW DO I IMPORT MY BACKED UP DB".

All I keep getting is the canned answer of "the only sure way to backup your database if via telnet or ssh..."

Yeah, I get that. I really do. But I think my backup is fine and I'd at least like to try it out before asking my previous host to enable secure shell for me.

There's no documentation I can find for NOT using telnet/secure shell.

I've moved my files/folders over to the new host - don't I need to go create databases? Update the config file? Something like that? It seems like I should need to, but there's nothing I can find directing me to.

I've asked the friends I have running Vbulletin and to be honest they all indicated they just figured it out on their own. Three different people with different sized forums.. figuring it out on their own cause they couldn't find documentation. Testing in the production environment? Awesome.

I will not just outright break my forums because I can't find the instructions I need in a way I can use them and I THINK I know what to do, but I'm not certain and I can't find steps written to help me out here.

Will someone please post the appropriate steps to take if you are moving Server + Domain and you have your backup completed but you are not using telnet/ssh access to move/import files?

Comment

• peterska2
                    • Oct 2003
                    • 3.7.x

You can restore by phpmyadmin although it is unreliable:

If you cannot restore the database with phpmyadmin, and cannot use any of the other methods to restore your database, then you can will need to get your host to restore the database for you.

Comment

• Whiteyboy5
                      • Jul 2007

If you had no SSH access or such, you will need to simply export the database via Phpmyadmin, and then import with the same method.

If you had SSH or ROOT acess to the server before then you could have copied the data folder from the mysql root, however this doesnt seem possible for you.

Comment