Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jason Dunn
    • Jul 2006

User Account Upgrades Not Happening

I'm still relatively new at running my vBulletin forum, so you'll have to excuse me if this is a simple question, but hopefully there's a simple answer...

I've configured my vBulletin install so that the first post someone makes, it's held in moderation (as a protection against spammer). After that first post is approved, their account is automatically upgraded (or, it's supposed to be) from "Registered Users - Awaiting Approval" to "Registered Users - Approved" and they can post freely after that point. I was told about how to do that right here in these forums (thanks!).

Here's the problem though: it doesn't always seem to work. Right now for instance, I have a thread where user ABC posted once, and I approved his post. A day later, he posts again, and it's still being held for moderation. I checked his account and it says it's set to "Registered Users - Approved".

This has been going on for months, and I'm finally frustrated enough with it to come here and ask - any ideas? What process handles the account upgrade process, and is it something I need to check in on?
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

Promotions are handled by a scheduled task:

Admin CP -> Scheduled Tasks -> Scheduled Task Manager -> User Promotions

By default, promotions run every hour. So it could potentially take up to an hour after their first post for the user to be promoted during which time their posts are still being moderated. Also note that the task system is driven by page loads on your forum, so if your forum is inactive over night or something then it might take longer for the tasks to run.

Comment

• Jason Dunn
      • Jul 2006

Thanks, in looking at the logs, that seems to be what happened: the user posted before the hourly process ran. I'll just have to keep that in mind for the future...

Comment

• snoopy5
        • Sep 2004
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
        Also note that the task system is driven by page loads on your forum, so if your forum is inactive
        Hi

I have an almost identical problem and a forum with very low activity. The difference is, that a user shall be moved from "registered user to another usergroup after 24 hours (no matter whether he is posting or not).

Manually executing it in Scheduled Task Manager works, but it does not move any user automatically. How can I force the Scheduled Task Manager to move a user nevertheless always after 24 hours of his registration?

vb 3.68 PL2

Comment

• Jake Bunce
          • Dec 2000
          • 3.6.x

That is already handled automatically by the hourly scheduled task, but it can take more than an hour if your forum isn't very active. Manually running the task will force the changes immediately for users that qualify for the promotion at that time. There is nothing more you can do.

Comment

• snoopy5
            • Sep 2004
            • 3.6.x

I can setup cron jobs manually on my server.

Since the vb system does not work for me, I want to make it manuyll with my own cronjob

What is the cronjob (the code) I would have to add manually on my server to run this script every hour?

Thanks in advance

Comment

• Jake Bunce
              • Dec 2000
              • 3.6.x

I don't know the code to do that. The people in the server forum might know:

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...