Adding extra note to "Your PM box is 90% full." for certain user group only?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdebler
    • May 2001

Adding extra note to "Your PM box is 90% full." for certain user group only?

Here's what I want to do and I am having a hard time making it work right.

When a member of a certain user group sees the "Your PM box is XX% full" message, I want to add a quick note under it reminding them why.

So, here is the code in the navbar that I tried using but for some reason I cannot get it to work right...

Code:
    <if condition="$show['pmwarning'] AND is_member_of($post, 2)"><br />
    	<strong><phrase 1="$vbphrase[pmpercent_nav_compiled]">$vbphrase[your_pm_box_is_x_full]</phrase></strong><br />
    	<a href="/link_to_explanation.html">(Why am I seeing this?)</a>
    <else />
    	<if condition="$show['pmwarning']"><br /><strong><phrase 					
    	1="$vbphrase[pmpercent_nav_compiled]">$vbphrase[your_pm_box_is_x_full]</phrase></strong>
    </if>
    What am I doing wrong or what am I missing? Thanks!
    -Jason
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

Your code looks ok to me. Note that the warning is only shown if your PM box is at least 90% full. If you are trying to test this then you need a user with an almost full inbox.

Comment

• jdebler
      • May 2001

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
      Your code looks ok to me. Note that the warning is only shown if your PM box is at least 90% full. If you are trying to test this then you need a user with an almost full inbox.
      Thanks for the reply. Yep, I am trying it on a test account with a 90% full PM box.

I just realized that I forgot an additional < /if> statement at the end of the above code, but when I fix it and apply it, the extra line still doesn't show up, although the "Your PM box is 90% full." still does.

I did some testing, and I discovered something...

When using this code...

Code:
      <if condition="$show['pmwarning'] AND is_member_of($post, 2)"><br />
        <strong>MESSAGE 1</strong><br />
      <else />
      <if condition="$show['pmwarning']"><br />
        <strong>MESSAGE 2</strong>
      </if>
      </if>
      Only MESSAGE 2 shows up. I'll bet this is something very simple that I am missing. Is my is_member_of($post, 2) (with 2 being the user group ID that I want the extra line to be shown to) the proper way to do it? I could swear I have seen an alternate way of doing it once, but I may be mistaken.

Thanks again!
      -Jason

Comment

• peterska2
        • Oct 2003
        • 3.7.x

Personally I would do it like this.....

Replace

Code:
        <if condition="$show['pmwarning']"><div><strong><phrase 1="$vbphrase[pmpercent_nav_compiled]">$vbphrase[your_pm_box_is_x_full]</phrase></strong></div></if>
        with

Code:
        <if condition="$show['pmwarning']"><div><strong><phrase 1="$vbphrase[pmpercent_nav_compiled]">$vbphrase[your_pm_box_is_x_full]</phrase></strong></div>
        [COLOR=Red] <if condition="is_member_of($usergroupid, 2)"><div class="smallfont">
        <a href="/link_to_explanation.html">(Why am I seeing this?)</a></div></if>
        [/COLOR]</if>
        The red bit is the added code.

Comment

• jdebler
          • May 2001

Thanks Kerry-Anne, but I tried that as well and the extra added line does not display. I checked and rechecked that the test user account that I am using this for and it is indeed user group ID 2. This doesn't make any sense, I am surely missing somethat that I fear I will be slightly embarrassed about soon... I'll keep working on it.
          -Jason

Comment

• Jake Bunce
            • Dec 2000
            • 3.6.x

Is this in the navbar? Are you wanting to check the currently logged in user? In that case you need to use $bbuserinfo instead of $post:

Code:
            is_member_of($bbuserinfo, 2)

Comment

• jdebler
              • May 2001

Originally posted by Jake Bunce
              Is this in the navbar? Are you wanting to check the currently logged in user? In that case you need to use $bbuserinfo instead of $post:

Code:
              is_member_of($bbuserinfo, 2)
              AH! That did it. Thanks to all!

What is the difference between is_member_of($post, 2) like I was originally trying to use (which I use elsewhere on my board in the postbit) and is_member_of($bbuserinfo, 2) that worked in this case? Is the $bbuserinfo used when it is only shown to the logged in user and the $post used when everyone can see it?
              -Jason

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                • Dec 2000
                • 3.6.x

$bbuserinfo is the current logged in user. $post is the post author.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...