• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DDIG
    • Oct 2007
    • 3.8.x

Birthday changes

I am using vBulletin 3.6.8 PL 2

I recently switched to vBulletin, I imported my SMF database and then I had to alter the reputation value for a bunch of users. (SMF uses Karma, vBulletin has a much more sophisticated system).

In order to enter reputation values and save the user from the AdminCP I had to make up a random birthdate, the system does not accept an invalid date of birth.

I did not know that a user is not allowed to change that himself.

So now I have quite a few invalid birthdates.

Why is a user not allowed to change his / her date of birth? Just in case you make a mistake the first time you enter a date of birth? Could this be made possible somehow?
    Wat You See Is What I Could Have Meant
    D-DIG.NL -
    Hèt trefpunt voor alles over digitale fotografie op internet... En meer!
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

They should be able to edit their birthday in their:

User CP -> Edit Profile

Assuming they have permission to edit their profile:

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager -> Edit Usergroup -> Can Edit Own Profile

Comment

• DDIG
      • Oct 2007
      • 3.8.x

No they can't, only possible in AdminCP...
      D-DIG.NL -

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

I don't know why else it wouldn't be showing unless the option was somehow removed in one of your customizations. You can determine this by temporarily removing your customizations. Try to reproduce it on a default style:

Admin CP -> Styles & Templates -> Style Manager -> [Add New Style]

Create a new style with no parent. Then click that style's name in the Style Manager to view your forum with that style.

If you still have the problem then try disabling your plugins:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Plugin/Hook System

Also run a file check to look for customized files:

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

Comment

• DDIG
          • Oct 2007
          • 3.8.x

Even the standard vBulletin text says a user can't modify their own date of birth, this is not due to any modification. See attachment.

Maybe you are confusing birthdate with the Privacy field?

My usersgroups all have the "can edit own profile" setting "Yes"
          Attached Files
          D-DIG.NL -

Comment

• Jake Bunce
            • Dec 2000
            • 3.6.x

That is actually referring to the ability to view your birthday, not edit it.

I don't know what else it could be. Please submit a trouble ticket with your forum and server logins so we can take a look:

Comment

• DDIG
              • Oct 2007
              • 3.8.x

Exactly. I posted it to let you see that a user cannot change his / her date of birth, that can only be done by an administrator, that is what the text in the attachment clearly states.

It is not a flaw, it is "behavior by design", it just cannot be done by users, much the same way a user can't change username, that too can only be done by an Admin (for good reason).

If there is a solution, can't you please share it with us? I'm not the only one that should benefit from this.
              D-DIG.NL -

Comment

• Jake Bunce
                • Dec 2000
                • 3.6.x

I don't have a solution right now. I don't know what could be causing that problem. I have not been able to reproduce the problem on my test forum. That is why we need to take a closer look. You will need to submit a trouble ticket:

Comment

• DDIG
                  • Oct 2007
                  • 3.8.x

But, as I stated before, it is not a flaw, it is intended to work as I described. Users should not be able to alter their date of birth.

I was merely pointing out that I find it strange that users can't change date of birth, and was asking / hoping for a solution to this. It is a fact that they can't. Not a flaw on my version of vBulletin. I will consider making a ticket, but I find it rather strange that it can't be reproduced.
                  D-DIG.NL -

Comment

• FamilyHistory
                    • May 2006
                    • 3.8.x

Funny thing is my forums are the same as your picture DDig - You can see it but cannot edit it. There are the options to hide, show or show your age only. No edit.

Reason why I looked, is that a few people over the last week have had a message from my forum congratulating on their birthday - only it isn't their birthday. They must have entered it wrong on registering.

So I have redirected them to edit their profile, and for them to reply taht they cannot chang the birthdate. I then checked and searched here and found this thread!

I agree with DDig that it looks like it was designed so the user/member cannot edit it!
                    Wonder why?
                    regards,
                    Dave
                    ;) Genealogists never die, they just lose their census :p
                    www.familyhistory.uk.com - Do you know YOUR families history?

Get your family tree online - Competitive Hosting

Comment

• peterska2
                      • Oct 2003
                      • 3.7.x

AdminCP > vBulletin Options > vBulletin Options > User Profile Options > Require Date of Birth

If this is set to YES then the date of birth must be supplied at registration and cannot be subsequently edited by users. If it is set to NO then the user can edit their date of birth and it is not required to register on your forum.

Comment

• glennybee
                        • Feb 2008
                        • 3.7.x

Thank you Kerry-Anne, I had the same problem and this fixed it.

Comment

• djrichards
                          • Sep 2007
                          • 3.6.x

Thanks for this info. It allowed me to fix an ongoing problem I've had since porting over from SMF.

I think it's rather odd that things work this way, though. I'd like to be able require birth date but allow users to change it. I have hundreds of users with inaccurate birth dates after the SMF port.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...