X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RadarReviews_Net
    • Oct 2007
    • 3.6.x

Dedicated IP vs Shared IP?

I was just curious is it better to run our vbulletin on a dedicated IP address or a shared IP address. Also I noticed it said it will make your site faster with high loads of traffic for dedicated IP address, will it make the website load faster???
  • Jobe1986
    • Jan 2007
    • 4.2.x

Unless the other sites on a shared IP are a medium to high load as well, a shared IP can be just as effective as a dedicated IP.
    http://data.collectiveirc.net/status/user/Jobe.png

Comment

• Robert Paulson
      • Nov 2007
      • 3.6.x

It depends on your site's traffic.

My board is only about 6 weeks old, so there's only 235 members, never been more than 40 on at once. I'm on a shared server and have NEVER had any trouble.
      audioandanarchy.com

Comment

• kommuni
        • Jun 2005

what should an IP address have to do with the traffic a forum gets?

@RadarReviews_Net: it simply doesn't matter to your board whether the IP address is shared with other sites or not. It only depends on machine resources you get for your forums. Simply getting a dedicated ip adress at your hoster won't help you out if the webspace your forum is hosted in stays on the same machine with the same other users and sites (one machine can have unlimited ip addresses).

Comment

• Robert Paulson
          • Nov 2007
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by kommuni
          what should an IP address have to do with the traffic a forum gets?
          Well, I sort of assumed he was referring to a dedicated server vs. a shared server. I very well may be mistaken.
          audioandanarchy.com

Comment

• Jose Amaral Rego
            • Feb 2005
            • 1.1.x

You share the same ip address if you are a shared, but that is all it means. You can have some clowns using up the resources on shared and dedicate would make you controller of the drive basically. It also cost quite a bit more and you have some freedom on what you can addin to your Cpanel.

Comment

• kommuni
              • Jun 2005

the next one that mixes up shared ip with shared hosting

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...