Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • attroll
    • Jan 2003
    • 4.2.X

The host is not the problem. I how my own server. It is the server management team that can not figure it out.

Comment

• attroll
      • Jan 2003
      • 4.2.X

Here is an update to what my server management team has replied to me as of today about setting the datastore_cache.php to CHMOD 777 and keeping it that way after it is written to from the admincp section.

The way linux permissions is structured and the way apache is set up, what you said simply cannot be done.

We can try to reproduce this, and make linux work like it isn't supposed to, but this will be very, very difficult, albeit impossible.

This could possibly be a bad update on vbulletin somehow.
      Steve, I am hoping you tell me that this is not true and that a VB upgrade will not be the cause of this or maybe shed some more light on this somehow.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

I have no idea what your host's response means. However there is no code in vB that would ever change file permissions. None whatsoever. Sorry.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• attroll
          • Jan 2003
          • 4.2.X

My team is telling me that through the browser that a file can be accessed that is 777 but can not be written back to and remain as CHMOD 777. They are telling me that it is suppose to revert to 644.

Sorry but I am getting pretty dam frustrated at this situation. I have four other VB sites running on this same server and none of those have this problem.

I am getting ready to say the heck with it and upgrade to 3.7 and see if this fixes the issue. I was trying to wait and for 3.7 to cone out of beta first but I do not know what to do now with this problem.

Comment

• attroll
            • Jan 2003
            • 4.2.X

I am happy to report that we are getting the file to stay at CHMOD 777 now. But here is the new problem and I think this may be a VB issue but I am not sure.

If I start out with a new datastore_cache.php file and make it CHMOD 777 and then open up my Admincp it reads the contents from the database into the file and saves the file. Then when I try to delete a forum is says that it was successful but after is says that then it brings up the forum listing again but it it still shows the forum that I jsut deleted. It seems as though it did not get deleted. I then try to click on the forum that I tried to delete and it says "Invalid forum specified".

To me it seems like it is not writing back to the datastore_cache.php file with the changes.

Any ideas on this one?
            Last edited by attroll; Sat 5 Jan '08, 12:15am.

Comment

• DannCG
              • Oct 2006

Hi attroll,

I'm really appreciate if you could tell us how did you solve this permission issue. I'm having very similar problem like you but my case specifically related to ownership/group issue. Hope you can share here.

Thx.

Comment

• attroll
                • Jan 2003
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by DannCG
                Hi attroll,

I'm really appreciate if you could tell us how did you solve this permission issue. I'm having very similar problem like you but my case specifically related to ownership/group issue. Hope you can share here.

Thx.
                DannCG, just sent you a PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...