X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike Jordan
    • Dec 2007
    • 3.6.x

New User Registration Login Name Field?

I did a test registration today to test out some new questions I added to the registration and I noticed something strange. When I put in my test name into the field for login name, a pull down menu came up with a bunch of names in it that started with the letter of the name I was entering. I looked through them and a lot of them didn't make sense. I tried another name and a bunch of names came up that started with those names, again, names that weren't really all that normal.

My question is, where is it picking these names up, why do they show up and how can I get rid of them? None of them are any of my current members and I couldn't find th em in the Admin panel anywhere. But it is a lot of names that I don't think need to be there.

Thanks

Mike
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Only valid usernames would show. That has been this way since 3.5 I think.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Steve Machol
      • Jul 2000

Scratch that. I didn't realize this was during registration.

That is not a functon in any version of vB. This is either due to a browser extension, or an add-on you installed.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Mike Jordan
        • Dec 2007
        • 3.6.x

I've only had 3.6.8 installed for a few weeks and I don't have any add-ons added. I use Mozilla and I've never seen this bring up any but the names I have used for login before... and these are names that I know I've never used or would use. But you may be right about it being the browser. I tried it in IE 6 and the pull down menu list did not come up. So I guess I'll go dig in Mozilla and see if that is getting them from somewhere.

Thanks

Mike

Comment

• Steve Machol
          • Jul 2000

I believe the Google Toolbar browser exxtension does something like this.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Mike Jordan
            • Dec 2007
            • 3.6.x

I don't run the Google tool bar and the names aren't coming up in the address bar. Here is a screen shot of what I'm talking about:

If I go to log in, a list of my login names comes up under the login box, but it's just a few names that I have used. The list on the registration has dozens if not more names for each letter I start with. I've never seen Mozilla do this before, but if it's not something in vBulletin, then Mozilla is the only thing it could be. I'll keep at it and see if I can find a file somewhere in the Mozilla folders that has a bunch of names in it. As long as it's not coming up for the people that I have registering right now, it's puzzeling, but not a big deal.

And if anyone else happens to have an idea, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks Steve.

Mike

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

That's normal with FireFox. As you said 'it's just a few names that I have used'.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Mike Jordan
                • Dec 2007
                • 3.6.x

Yes, the login field are just my normal login names. All of those names that come in the registration field box of the example screen shot are not any names I've ever used. Or have ever been used on this computer... I'm the only one that ever uses it, so I know that for sure. I checked the Mozilla Firefox directory and didn't find anything in there that jumped out at me, so it must be picking it up from somewhere else. I'll keep digging at it. They are coming from somewhere.

Mike

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...