X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maniac
    • May 2001
    • 3.6.x

Reputation Primer

I've looked through the FAQ's and manual adnt he information in there is minimal - Is there a reputation primer somewhere? Something that clearly explains how it "works" so I can communicate to my users?

ditto for infractions...

Thanks in advance...
    MORE | UnitedMania
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Other than our FAQ and Online documentation, I do not know of anything else. Sorry.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• codedigital
      • Oct 2007
      • 3.6.x

I did a search in your FAQ and couldn't find anything.

Can you give me a link?

Comment

• peterska2
        • Oct 2003
        • 3.7.x

In the manual this is the page with an introduction to reputation:

and this is for infractions:

Comment

• Maniac
          • May 2001
          • 3.6.x

I also found this, which helped make sense of things a bit more...

MORE | UnitedMania

Comment

• jfrenaye
            • Jul 2006
            • 3.6.x

I agree that it is difficult to explain the rep system to users. Here is what we came up wiht in our FAQ if it helps

User Reputation in its simplest form is a ranking of your benefit to the forum. Its basis comes from the opinions of all forum users that choose take part in it.

Users gain and lose reputation based on how their posts are scored by other forum participants. Users with the ability to affect reputation, will either give or take aways points by approving or disapproving with a post's content.

There are two components to the system.

The first is your reptation LEVEL. This is the number of points you have earned as a result of other's opinions. Essentially, someone can agree or disagree with any post and your LEVEL will either increase, decrease or remain the same (in the case that someone does not have any reputation power). As your LEVEL increases, you will have more square pips in your posts (on the upper right corner). The more pips, the more reputation points you have on your LEVEL. Green is positive, red is negative, grey is neutral, and black is disabled. You can disable the display of your reputation LEVEL in your User CP.

The second is your reputation POWER. This is the relative power you have to affect someone elses LEVEL. Your individual power is a calculation based on the length of time participating in the forums, the number of posts, and your own repputation level. So, if you have been here a while, have a decent number of posts, and a good level, your POWER will be higher. Think of this as how you value someone's opinion. You will give more weight to the opinion of a trusted friend than a stranger. You can see your POWER in your User CP. When you give postive reputation, you will add points equal to your POWER to another user. When you give negative reputation, you will remove points equal to half of youur POWER to another user. This prevents abuse.

The more you use the reputation sytem, the more robust the forums will become. It sounds confusing, but it is really pretty simple on the surface.

Comment

• friscogal
              • Aug 2006

thanks john...
              My Brand New Forum:
              Best Destination Wedding

http://www.adminfusion.com/forums/usercp.php

Comment

• Maniac
                • May 2001
                • 3.6.x

I'm starting to have a pretty good explanation of how this all works;

I appreciate all the imput that has been posted.
                MORE | UnitedMania

Comment

• jfrenaye
                  • Jul 2006
                  • 3.6.x

Originally posted by friscogal
                  thanks john...
                  Oh your so smart Tammy!

Comment