X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MPDesignZ
    • Feb 2007
    • 3.6.x

Database Error/Problem After Install of Flashchat

I have a problem after installing Flashchat on a vbulletin forum. We were backing up the database from the admin CP once a week before the install of Flashchat, but now we cannot back up the database completely. It hangs at the very beginning of backing up.

I've already talked to FlashChat and they said it was not in their script. I also tried a mod from vb.org for a database backup and it did not function so it has been uninstalled.

Forum specs:

Running vbulletin 3.6.4
    PHP 5.0.5
    Linux Apache Server
    MySQL 4.1.22
    Database size: Approx 75-85 mb

I also attached a screen shot of it.

Thanks
    MP
    Attached Files
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Well obviously it's the flashchat tables that are the problem. If they refuse to help you, then you should remove flashchat and it's tables from your database.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• MPDesignZ
      • Feb 2007
      • 3.6.x

Um ok. My client does not want to remove flash chat from the forum though. Is there any other solution that may be causing this issue?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

That's a question for Flashchat since it's their tables causing this problem.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• alanb
          • Dec 2005

I suggest using mysqldumper to do your backups. It's a free program and works very well. I had FlashChat on my site and mysqldumper never had any problems doing the backups.

Comment

• lifanovsky
            • Oct 2004

How big is your database?
            This could happen because its too big. On a certain point you can't backup your mysql db from the web, neither via vb admin panel, nor via phpmyadmin. Try to start backuping it from the command line. Even better - create a cron to do it automatically.

UPDATE. Just looked at the screenshot. It hangs on the messages table, which is the biggest flashchat table since it, obviously enough, contains all the messages. Try limiting the chat logs to 1 day or even less - this could make this table smaller.
            Last edited by lifanovsky; Wed 12 Dec '07, 4:22am. Reason: added another comment
            Boris Lifanovsky; administrator of the biggest Russian classical music forum

Lifanovsky.com | ForumKlassika.Ru

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

Note: The only reliable method of backing up and restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. This is because backing up with a PHP script like that in the Admin CP or phpMyAdmin can result in PHP timeouts errors and an incomplete backup file. Please see the instructions here:

Backup:

Restore:

P.S. Some people have reported success with these scripts:

MySQLDumper:

MySQLHotxcopy:

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• MPDesignZ
                • Feb 2007
                • 3.6.x

I've tried replying to this thread 3 times and it won't post the reply

Thanks for the help

EDIT: I had posted a link to the flashchat forum that is probably why. This error is a common problem with flashchat I found out from the moderator over there. Guess I'll copy and paste what he said instead of posting the link so others can see why this is happening if they have both on their site.

If your asking vbulletin to backup your database it's only setup to back up it's own setup not flashchat too. The flashchat tables is the problem. I don't have any great solution for this because it would mean you would other have to alter vbulletin to accept these other tables or uninstall flashchat. Maybe someone else has a better idea or I hope.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...