X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpal
    • Aug 2006
    • 3.6.x

Edit post....???

Have an interesting problem that has just shown up.

I went to edit a post as I've done many times in the past with no problems and corrected a few typos, then clicked on 'Save Changes', but instead of the page refreshing as per normal, a new browser dialogue box opened up with the following:

Opening editpost.php
    You have chosen to Open
    editpost.php
    which is a PHP file
    from http://www.yourexampledomain.com

What should Firefox do with this file?
    • Open with ........
    • Save to disc
    • Do this automatically for files like this from now on
    I've tried globally switching the plugins off from the Admin CP but this same box appears whenever I go to edit a post even when I've disabled the plugins via this route.

Obviously this isn't quite what I was expecting to happen. Does anyone have experience of this happening, and more to the point, how do I resolve this?

Am using 3.6.8 PL2
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Reupload the original editpost.php file. Make sure you upload it in ASCII format and overwrite the one on the server.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• richpal
      • Aug 2006
      • 3.6.x

I've just uploaded the original editpost.php file in ASCII format and overwritten the one on the server as you suggested but it's had no effect on the above.

Any ideas?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

To troubleshoot this, first reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all plugins.

Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it. Do you have the same problem?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• richpal
          • Aug 2006
          • 3.6.x

Thanks Steve for the info, sorry for the delay, have been busy viewing files, before carrying out all of the steps you suggested I took a look at the files the editpost.php used and uploaded the original files ones at a time and discovered that it was the global.php file that was corrupted. I uploaded the original version and all appears to be well for the time being....

Out of interest, do you know what is the main cause for the global.php to be corrupted?

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

File don't generally corrupt on their own. My guess is that someone tried to edit it.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...