• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ally01
    • Nov 2007
    • 3.6.x

Logging In

Hi There,

On the board that i look after i have came across a little issue, not just me but a quite a few have.

When you log into the board and then hit log in, it then goes to the re-direct page, but then it flicks back to the log in page.

At that point if you hit refresh on your browser it will take you into the forum.

Any idea what is going on and if i can fix it?

thanks

Ally

This post sounds the same as the one on this forum, but it is only one board running on one host server.
    Last edited by ally01; Wed 28 Nov '07, 8:12pm. Reason: update message post
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

That sounds like a problem with a modification.

To troubleshoot this, first reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version and that none show 'File does not contain expected contents':

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

[Note: In some cases you may also need to remove any of the listed .xml files in the includes/xml directory.]

Next, disable all plugins.

Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it. Do you have the same problem?
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• ally01
      • Nov 2007
      • 3.6.x

Any easier ways?

As far as i know no modifications or plugins have been used.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

If no modifications have been made then following those instructions should be easy.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• LDCPMike
          • Feb 2006
          • 3.5.x

I'm having this same problem, I tried following all the instructions but I didn't see anything about disabling hooks in my config.php

I tried to log in today and had this problem, so I decided to upgrade to the newest version, hoping that would fix the issue. I upgraded without issue, but the problem still remains.

If I type in fishtankpokerroom.com/index.php instead of just fishtankpokerroom into my browser, I get to the boards just fine, but if I just go to fishtankpokerroom.com and log in, it redirects me back to the login page.

I ran the diagnostic and saw no problems, and there is no parent style...I'm using the default style now. I have a few changed images but they've been working fine for a year. Any further assistance?

Comment

• Mr. Fancy Pants
            • Nov 2007
            • 3.6.x

I am having this same problem. Worked fine all day. No chnages were made at all. Now all of a sudden it's doing this. Please help!!!

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

Please start your own threads with all the relevant details. Make sure you follow the instructions in this thread first because afaik this cannot occur with the default vB.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• ally01
                • Nov 2007
                • 3.6.x

Here is a following up to the same problem.

I even now have the same problem when i log in as the admin, i would enter my log in details and instead if going straight into the control panel it would just return to the log in page again.

If i hit refresh then i would appear as logged into the control panel.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

If you have followed the instructions in post #2 and have removed any modifications, then please fill out a support ticket at:

Please include a complete description of the problem and be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP, phpMyAdmin and FTP in the 'Sensitive Data' field.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• jayjenxi
                    • Nov 2007

Hi, I'm having this problem too. Before I proceed with your instructions, could you tell me if overwriting the said files with the originals would affect my mods? Would any template edits made in the Style manager be affected?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

Yes, if you have modified the original vB files then this would obviously affect those modifications. Since we cannot provide support for forums running modified code, you can try asking for help over at www.vbulletin.org.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...