Moving Forum To New Domain, Quickest Way?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FalkinPro
    • Dec 2005
    • 3.7.x

Moving Forum To New Domain, Quickest Way?

I will be moving my forum to a new domain and server, and I want to know 1. the best way to do it and 2. if my thought out process is correct.

1. Is the easiest way to simply create a new database at the new server, install fresh copy of VB + Impex, then simply import my database from other domain?

2. If I can't use Impex for VB to VB switch, from what I understand all I need to do is:
    • Backup old database
    • Reinstall Vbulletin (make sure versions match) on new server
    • Move all images and such over to new server
    • Import old database into new database
    • Point fresh VB install at new imported database
    • Turn on VB
    Since I am moving to a new domain, I already know how to do 301 redirects, but do I have to change anything internally like the forum homepage or something or will VB just simply adjust automatically? I want to make sure my cookies stay in tact and I still have access to the control panel after move.

Thanks in advance!!
  • dieselpowered
    • Aug 2004
    • 4.2.X

I am thinking the best way to do this would be to:
    1. Create new db on new server / domain.
    2. Use SSH and do a dump of the db.
    3. Using FTP, download the sql dump and re-upload it to your new server / domain.
    4. Use SSH and tar up your files.
    5. Using FTP, download the tar files and re-upload them to your new server / domain.
    6. Using SSH, untar the files on the new server / domain.
    7. Using SSH restore the sql file on the new server / domain from the dump on the previous server.
    8. Change your config file information to reflect the new db, password, etc.
    9. Log into your admin control panel and make the appropriate changes in there.
    There you are...all done!
    CommanderTalk.com --> www.commandertalk.com

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

The instructions for moving servers are here:

If you do not have SSH/Telnet the backup can be created using either phpMyAdmin or through the backup feature in the Admin Control Panel. If your forum is very large, these methods may be unreliable and you may have to get your hosting company to perform the backup for you.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• FalkinPro
        • Dec 2005
        • 3.7.x

Alright, well apparently the backup created through vbulletin can't be imported into the new sql database at my new host since both are running different versions of mysql. So to do it that way I have to have my provider dump the database for me themselves (which could take who knows how long).

Can I use Impex to import the database that way?

Thanks.

Comment

• dieselpowered
          • Aug 2004
          • 4.2.X

Not sure that IMPEX is going to help you out...what version of SQL does your server now have...and what version of SQL does your new server have?

Comment

• FalkinPro
            • Dec 2005
            • 3.7.x

old host, mysql 4.1.20 vs new host mysql 4.2.22

Based on the email I received from my new host when they tried to import all I have to do is dump the old database with MYSQL 40 compatability. They say it cant be done through phpmyadmin but I am there right now and I see the option so Imma try it out.

Here is the email my new host sent me after trying import,

"ERROR 1064 (42000) at line 246671: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '
            ************************************************** This is an indication that the server from which you have taken the backup is running a different version of mysql from that which is running in our server. Hence to overcome this problem you need to take the dump from the other server using the mysqldump compatibility option. The usage of the dump should be as shown below: ************************************************** mysqldump -u some_user -p --create-options --compatible=mysql40 db_to_export > dump_file.sql ************************************************** some_user ==> is the username in that server mysql40 db_to_export ==> name of the database to be imported. Please note that the dump with this compatibility option cannot be taken from the phpmyadmin and hence you will have to contact the techs at the other server to do so. The MySQL version installed on your server is 4.1.22-standard. ===================== # mysqld --version mysqld Ver 4.1.22-standard for pc-linux-gnu on i686 (MySQL Community Edition - Standard (GPL))"

Comment

• dieselpowered
              • Aug 2004
              • 4.2.X

That does not make sense...you are going to a higher version...I would not think you would have any compatibility issues.

I could be wrong though.

Comment

• FalkinPro
                • Dec 2005
                • 3.7.x

O really? well that sucks then. Emailed the new host again and waiting for response. Meanwhile I dump the database with mysql 40 compatibility and going to try to import again.

Comment

• FalkinPro
                  • Dec 2005
                  • 3.7.x

MOVE SUCCESSFUL, COOKIE PROBLEM!

Alright, so I got the database imported and the forum is looking just fine, the problem though is with cookies. Whenever I put my password in and login, it goes to the "thanks for logging in" screen then refreshes back to the forum homepage as being a guest.

I think this is a cookie problem isn't it? I ran into this before but I don't remember how I fixed it. I can't login to the admin CP to change the forum home URL, if this is incorrect would that be causing the problem? Is there a way to change this remotely?

Thanks.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    Former Customer Support Manager
                    • Jul 2000

This is probably a cookie domain/path issue. To fix this, upload the tools.php script in the 'do_not_upload' folder of the vB zip file to your Admin CP directory and run it from your browser. Use this to reset the cookie domain and path back to the defaults. And then leave your cookie domain and path at the default settings. There is no reason to change these. If you need to specify a unique cookie, use the cookie prefix setting in config.php instead.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• FalkinPro
                      • Dec 2005
                      • 3.7.x

Perfect, worked like a charm. Thanks much!!

Comment