X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThreeD
    • Aug 2006
    • 3.6.x

Forum Jump Menu & SEO?!

I was wondering if we remove the forum jump menu at the bottom of the threadlists / showthread templates, will that in any way affect our SEO results?

Thanks all
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Doubtful. Bots wouldn't follow it because it relies on Javascript and is a form element.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• ThreeD
      • Aug 2006
      • 3.6.x

ahhh I wasn't sure if it used Javascript or not (didn't check the code in the template). When I look at the source code it doesn't show any javascript but all the various links in the forum jump menu. Can the SE spiders see those links or only the link that is currently chosen?

Thanks Wayne!
      Last edited by ThreeD; Sat 10 Nov '07, 12:42pm.

Comment

• arlarson
        • Apr 2006
        • 3.5.x

I've seen keywords from the forum jump appear in "long tail" searches on Google. I see this most commonly where a forum uses a geographic organization (e.g., forums named after each state, with the forum jump being primarily a list of state names). Search engines don't process the links from the forum jump, but they can see the list.

I suspect that Google places little value on these terms, as I don't see it happening with more popular keywords and phrases. Within the long-tail search results where I see this effect, it seems to consisently undermine relevance, so if I were writing Google's algorithm (I wish ) I would completely ignore this type of form list.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...