Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boardmom
    • Sep 2007

Viewing only 1 forum

How do I make it to where newly registered users can only see one forum until they post an intro and then the rest of the forums open up?

I don't want people registering to be nosey and not intent to post.

TIA
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

You can use Usergroup and Forum permisions to do this along with Promotions.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Kiwi76
      • May 2006
      • 3.5.x

Note that the task that takes care of promotions is done every hour, so there will likely be some wait time from when they make that first post until they're promoted to the usergroup that can see the other forums.

Comment

• boardmom
        • Sep 2007

OK I tried to do it and everyone with 0 posts were "Banned". I don't know what the heck I did.

Ok, so I create a new Usergroup that I want called 'Guests'. Then I 'Add New Promotion'. I made the post count 1 and then have them become Registered Users after 1 post.
        I then go to Forum Permissions and make sure everything is marked 'No' except for the one forum I want them to be able to view and post. I click 'Yes' on the options within the forum I want them to be allowed and hit 'Save.

What am I missing???

Comment

• boardmom
          • Sep 2007

Oh and I changed the task to update every 3 minutes. So that should take careof the every hour refreshing thing right?

Comment

• boardmom
            • Sep 2007

UPDATE

Those with 0 posts can now only see the one forum I want them to see, BUT once they post it doesn't promote them into the next group.

I'm not sure what I did but I selected the 'Guest' usergroup, 'Reputation Level' is '2147483647', 'Days Registered 365', '1 Post', 'Promotions Strategy' is 'Posts', 'Promotion Type' is 'Primary Usergroup' and 'Move User To Usergroup' is 'Registered User'.

The only thing I notice is that when I set the 'Reputation Comparison Type' to 'Less Then' and save everything is defaults back to 'Greater Or Equal To' every time.

HELP??

One more thing, I have 'User Promotions' set to update every 3 minutes. I did this yesterday, posted under my 'Guest' username that had only 0 posts, posted twice and still haven't been promoted.

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

What happens if you manually run the promotions task?

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• boardmom
                • Sep 2007

Nothing. It doesn't even show that it did an update.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

Have you installed any add-ons or code modifiations? If not, fill out a support ticket at:

Please include a complete description of the problem and be sure to include the login info to your Admin CP, phpMyAdmin and FTP in the 'Sensitive Data' field.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• boardmom
                    • Sep 2007

I have Reputation Display and VbCredits. Would either of those affect creating promotions?

I'll fill out a ticket I guess.

Thanks!

Comment

• boardmom
                      • Sep 2007

NM I did it!!!!!

I deleted the 'Guest' usergroup and started from scratch. This time I created the Usergroup and instead of going to 'Usergroups'--->'Promotions', I used the drop down menu under 'Guest' --->'Edit promotions'--->'Add Promotion'.

I can't believe the other way didn't work, but that's all I did differently.

In any event, thank you 'Steve the Great'.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...