X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Meje
    • Oct 2007

email sending problems

Hi all,

Ive searched through the forums, and the user manual, trouble shooting etc for hours now, tried different fixes but cant seem to identify the problem I'm having so have reluctantly decided to post as I know how annoying repeat questions can be!

I think a main problem I'm having is that Ive had my head in this for so long now that its all starting to look the same.... and things are starting to get fuzzy around the edges now... LOL!

I don't really need help with how to fix the problem as such, just with identifying if the problem is on my end or my servers end.

Since I first installed VB activation emails, and all other notification emails have not been working.

They all get returned to me (through the Webmaster's Email ) with the following comment:

Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2007 12:36 PM
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
    Mail sent by user nobody being discarded due to sender restrictions in WHM->Tweak Settings
    When I do a diagnostic email test using an email address under a totally different domain the test comes back with no errors found, please check to see if you received the email.

Then the test email will bounce and be sent back to me thru the webmasters email address with the above error email.

BUT if I do the diagnostic email on a different email address, but same domain name (ie the same server) The diagnostic email says no errors found, and the email goes through to o the correct address perfectly - no bouncing back to the webmasters addy.

SO. Is this a problem on my end with the settings in VB or with my host?

Is this the problem?

Email from my forums is blocked

Error: unrouteable mail domain "****.com"
    This problem is caused by this option being checked in WebHost Manager for the server:

Prevent the user 'nobody' from sending out mail to remote addresses (php and cgi scripts generally run as nobody if you are not using phpsuexec and suexec respectively.)

Unchecking this option should stop this problem. You will of course need to have root access to the server to do this. If you don't, then you'll need to ask your web host to do this for you.
    If so, is it something I can fix via the cpanel? or is it something I need to get my host to do on my account at their end?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

This is a server issue, not a vB one:

"Mail sent by user nobody being discarded due to sender restrictions in WHM->Tweak Settings "

This needs to be fixed on the server level with WHM. It cannot be fixed in cPanel. You will need to contact your host about this.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Meje
      • Oct 2007

Thank you for your reply.

Comment

• Meje
        • Oct 2007

ok, turns out I cant have that setting changed on my hosting account, so what do I do now to get around it???

Comment

• Meje
          • Oct 2007

and if I 'Enable "-f" Parameter' to yes (safe mode is set to no)

I still get the same error as above.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

Unfortunately this is still a server issue. You will need to contact your host about this.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Meje
              • Oct 2007

So theres no way that I can change vbullietn to send as admin@mydomain rather than nobody@xxxx ?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

No, it is the server that is doing that, not vB. Sorry I was unable to make that clear.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Meje
                  • Oct 2007

Thanks Steve.

So I presume that using SMTP wont make any difference? Will it all still hit that same problem when going through the server?

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

That might work, depending on the SMTP server you use. At this point it's worth a shot.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Meje
                      • Oct 2007

Thanks again Steve. Ill give it a go.

Comment

• Meje
                        • Oct 2007

It worked!

So for anyone with a similar problem. By using SMTP for email, I have been able to solve this problem.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                          • Jul 2000

Glad to hear it.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment