Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CrossBones
    • Jul 2003

Data Base errors...

Can somebody please help me understand what is going on with my site.

I am getting this error...
    Database error in vBulletin :

mysql_connect() [<a href='function.mysql-connect'>function.mysql-connect</a>]: Too many connections
    /home/afcwestf /public_html/forums/includes/class_core.php on line 274
    And this one...

Database error in vBulletin :

mysql_connect() [<a href='function.mysql-connect'>function.mysql-connect</a>]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (11)
    /home/afcwestf/public_html/forums/includes/class_core.php on line 274
    It's been goping on for a long time and my site is becoming unusable. The host blames it on something in my site. I honestly don't understand what these thing mean.

Is there somebody who can help me trouble shoot this?

Here is the latest email I got from the host:
    After re-reading your ticket. It appears your are actually hitting multiple issues, with different causes. You've sent two errors to us so far:

mysql_connect() [<a href='function.mysql-connect'>function.mysql-
    connect</a>]: User afcwestf has already more than
    'max_user_connections' active connections

mysql_connect() [<a href='function.mysql-connect'>function.mysql-
    connect</a>]: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/
    var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (11)

It is much more likely that the first error mentioned above is the one that happens most often, is this correct?

The second error would actually be a server issue with MySQL, and really should not happen very often, and only for a few minutes at a time.

The first error however is an issue with your script making too many simultaneous connections, hitting an internal per-user limit until some are closed. Note that this does not necessarily relate to the amount of users online in your forum.

May I ask if you are using a stock vBulletin install, or do you have any hacks/modules/extensions/etc added in? Most often these issues are caused by 3rd party code that simply isn't very optimal.
    I've been running this site with the hacks for many months...any ideas?

Here is my site although yo probably can't get ot it right now. http://www.afcwestforums.com/

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Too many connections = Too many global mysql connections, thus you cannot connect, its a global server limit and it has nothing to do specificly with your scripts/site.
    Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (11) = MySQL is likely down.

Comment

• CrossBones
      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Zachery
      Too many connections = Too many global mysql connections, thus you cannot connect, its a global server limit and it has nothing to do specificly with your scripts/site.
      Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (11) = MySQL is likely down.
      Zachery...I realize what it says but I don't understand why it's happening. It's not like we have 30,000 members overloading the server/databae. This happens sometimes in the middle of the night.

Can you give me some clue as to what could be causing this? I'm sorry I just don't understand this. The Host is blaming me and I'm blaming them.

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

Are you on a dedicated server?

MySQL has a global connection limit, I believe its 100 by default, I'd guess your host has it closer to 200-300.

For every connection that is made on the entire server, it consumes 1 spot. Not just you, but their own website, others sites etc. Other people on the server as well as you are causing this, its not just one person.

Comment

• CrossBones
          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Zachery
          Are you on a dedicated server?

MySQL has a global connection limit, I believe its 100 by default, I'd guess your host has it closer to 200-300.

For every connection that is made on the entire server, it consumes 1 spot. Not just you, but their own website, others sites etc. Other people on the server as well as you are causing this, its not just one person.
          Thanks Zackery.

No we're on a shared plan. As I guessed, it's not my thing -- it's more likely the Host. We've had problems before and the Host told me they had a user who was using too much of the server's resources and they were removing that user BUT....

Comment

• SteveC
            • Dec 2005
            • 3.0.10+

I've had this happen on and off for awhile. One thing I discovered is that it was much more likely to happen when vbulletin scheduled maintenance is running. I set all of the daily ones to run at 3 am when less users are online.

I've also been told advanced search hangs onto connections and this makes it more likely to get the connection limit error. Anyone know if that's true?

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

If you have persistent connections turned off in config.php (which is the default) then no, it's not true.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...