Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Do I Prevent Random "Useless" Users?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do I Prevent Random "Useless" Users?

Hello, I have had vBulletin on my message board:

www.Cheap-Information.co.uk

For around 3 months now, I paid a hell of alot of money for the software. The reason I did this was because I was getting an increasing amount of both spam users and spam posts. I thought that vBulletin would wipe this out.

But every day I get several users signing up with no real reason, they have random, random email addresses and are obviously not signing up to the site for the correct reasons. Please can I ask why there are things that do this, when they don't post and have no sort of advertisment on their profiles?

It is very annoying having these users there, I see that most other forums do not have this same problem. I have updated to the newest version.

I am pretty new to this sort of thing and got someone else to do it for me as I have no real idea with this sort of thing.

So please, is there anyway of getting rid of these annoying users signing up and having only "real" users who sign up? I am guessing it is some sort of bot or something but I have no real idea. I suppose it could be a bloody bored chap though.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance.

You are using Simple Font image verification. This won't keep them all out. You need to use Truetype.

See this thread:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211647
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

If you change this as Wayne describes, this will help prevent spambots from signing up. You can also look at their email addresses, and if they are not using common free emails such as hotmail, yahoo, gmail, etc you can ban them from signing up using the User Banning Options

vBulletin Options > User Banning Options > Banned Email Addresses

Enter the domain (such as email.ru) in the box and submit. When they try to register with that email domain they will get an error message.
      It may not be a good idea to ban the common email addresses listed above as this could prevent legitimate users from registering.
      Also, while we make every tool possible available to prevent spambots from registering, they will continue to attempt to thwart these efforts, so it is important to make sure you keep your board up to date with the latest release.
      Webmaster:
      @forumz

Comment

Will banning free email addresses (yahoo.com, gmail.com and hotmail.com) just stop new registrations from those sites and people already registered from changing their address to those sites? Or could it affect the "old timers" who already are registered using free email addresses from posting/use of the site?

Comment

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> User Banning Options -> Allow User to Keep Banned Email Addresses -> Yes

If you ban an email address and a user already uses that address, a problem will occur. Using this option, you can specify whether the user will have to enter a new email address in their profile when they next modify their email address, or whether the user can just keep the email address which you have banned.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

nevermind, I used a test account to find my answer. Thanks
            Last edited by not; Thu 6th Sep '07, 2:17am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X