X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Audentio
    • Jul 2007
    • 3.6.x

Salt

Can anyone explain the salts in the database table vb_user? I want to make a login and register form on my site and I want it to work with vB meaning that people can log into their accounts on the forums from the main site or register from the main site, but I don't want to touch anything into I know more about salts. Can someone please explain them to me?
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Its a random three character string that is used to encode the password with MD5 to prevent the same password being stored with the same hash.

The password is stored as MD5(MD5($password) . $salt)

To integrate the two systems, you should look login.php and the corresponding articles over at www.vbulletin.org.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• eclectica
      • Sep 2003
      • 3.6.x

Yeah, I recall older versions of vBulletin in which I could see my test accounts on the forum, which had the same passwords, would have the same hash password in the database. Now two people with the same password won't even have the same hash anymore, because of the salt.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...