Test site on different domain but how to stop mods appearing on the live forum?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yaoren
    • May 2007

Test site on different domain but how to stop mods appearing on the live forum?

I set up a 2nd domain (not sub-domain) and installed the forum onto it to use as a test forum for installing mods etc. Just an exact duplicate of the main (live) forum.
    Now if I upload images (for example) into my images folder on the test forum they don't appear on the live forum...correct?
    But as soon as I install a mod (moods for example) via ACP to test it, then the mod appears in the live forum. ( I hope you can follow this ok )
    My question is how can I access and use the ACP on the test forum without affecting the live forum?

Thanks for listening
  • Gray Matter
    • Jun 2005
    • 3.7.x

Don't use the same database for both forums.
    Twitter

Comment

• Yaoren
      • May 2007

Originally posted by Gray Matter
      Don't use the same database for both forums.
      Both are on a different database but on the same server but i'm finding that my problem is as soo as I do anything in ACP on the test board, it shows up on the live one
      Is it because the forum both have the same name?: http://mysite.com1 and http://mysite2.info are different domains names but as soon as I enter the forum on the test page it just takes me to http://mysite.com/forum/index.php which is exactly the same as the live one.
      Last edited by Yaoren; Sun 5 Aug '07, 8:16am.

Comment

• slappy
        • Apr 2003

Go to AdminCP --> vBulletin Options --> Site Name / URL / Contact Details of each and make sure you have:

http://mysite2.info/forum/index.php

listed for your "test" forum.

Regards,
        Slappy

Comment

• Yaoren
          • May 2007

Sorry slappy,

i'm not quite getting it.
          I see the section your talking about but if I change it from my usual forum address, what will happen then?
          a) will I still be able to access the "live" forum?
          b) if I want to up a mod, is it going on the test forum just because I changed forum address in this section?
          c) do I have to keep changing the address back & forward between forum addresses to access between "test" and "live" forums?

Comment

• slappy
            • Apr 2003

Yaoren:

You have TWO Forums. You have TWO AdminCPs. They should not be at the SAME address.

One should be at: http://mysite.com1/forum/admincp/index.php

the other should be at: http://mysite2.info/forum/admincp/index.php

If you want to make changes in your "test" forum's admincp and/or in your "test" forum, you have to use the "address" of your test forum for all links and addresses.

If you are making changes in your "production" forum admincp, you are NOT using the "address" of the "test" forum or the "test" forum's admincp.

Regards,
            Slappy

Comment

• Yaoren
              • May 2007

ok, this is what's happening now
              i can go to mysite1.com/forum/admincp/index.php and mysite2.info/forum/admincp/index.php. I can change the test site to mysite2.info/forum/index.php and save it.
              So far "live" site is mysite1.com/forum and test site is mysite2.info/forum as the url of the forum... but as soon as I save it and go back to the previous ACP and refresh, I end up with both addresses the same again.
              Obviously i'm missing a step somewhere in this equation

Comment

• patrickb
                • Jun 2007

Have you enabled any caching (datastore or memcache) by any chance?

I was seeing the same phenomenon when I did a second temporary install to diagnose a problem with my development installation. I would see the same forum structure for both sites!

Just comment the caching in your config file and it should go back to normal.

Comment

• Yaoren
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by patrickb
                  Have you enabled any caching (datastore or memcache) by any chance?

I was seeing the same phenomenon when I did a second temporary install to diagnose a problem with my development installation. I would see the same forum structure for both sites!

Just comment the caching in your config file and it should go back to normal.
                  I just made sure both forum addresses were pointing to the correct forum address via ACP and I can access the "live" forum without any problem.
                  However, i'm still left with my original problem.

Comment

• OS,
                    • Aug 2005
                    • 3.6.x

Hopefully this will solve the problem.

I presume you have two databases in 1 host account? With two different domains? 1st domain pointing to 1 database and the other domain pointing to another database right?

I also believe you have copied all the files from your original forum to your test forum without modifying a single file?

I think this is your problem, it is very simple.

When you copied all your files from your original forum you did not change the config.php file. The original config.php file you have copied onto your test forum is still pointing to your orignal database. You did not change database name and password within the config.php file which you copied for your test forum.

What you have to do is edit your config file which is in your test forum and make it point to your test database.

This will hopefully make it work. As before the changes you made was going to live forum because you did not amend the config.php file.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Yaoren
                      • May 2007

Thanks OS.

I've done that and both config.php files are different as in pointing to different databases. When I access ACP through the "live" site >>> site name / url / contact details >>> forum url, it shows me where my forum is located: (http://www.mysite.com/forum/)
                      But when I access the same place through the "test" site and change it to match my "test" forum then save it, it shows the same address on both ACP's.
                      Scratching my head and wondering how the two forums have the same URL
                      It's like my ACP is running both sites so I have to figure out how to seperate those?

Comment

• poolking
                        • Aug 2002

Simple way to do this:

On your main domain create a directory called "testvb", so the test forum becomes "maindomain.com/testvb".

Upload all of your files to "testvb" create a new database and then edit the config.php file in the "testvb" directory to read the database that refers to the installation on "testvb", so on your "testvb" admin cp, use the contact info as "maindomain.com/testvb"

Then when ever you make any mods, make sure you are using the url: "maindomain.com/testvb/admincp/index.php"

That way none of the mods will apear in your live forum.

Comment

• Nephalim
                          • Apr 2005
                          • 3.6.x

wow, i have done this to and i made a separate database for my test site and changed the forum name in the ACP to .. example forum/testvb

but when i login to the test site and click on a navigation button... it takes me to my live site. i am afraid to try hacks on the test site because i keep getting sent to the 'live' site. also when members go to the 'live' site. i see them at the test site and each forum has it's own database.

any help much appreciatedsorry. i will start my own thread. not related to this one i think
                          Last edited by Nephalim; Sat 12 Jan '08, 10:09am. Reason: do not want to hijack thread

Comment

• Lynne
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • Oct 2004

You need to modify settings in vbulletin options > General (I think that is it) and tell it the name/url of your test site. Then the links in your navbar should be correct.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                            vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                            Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                            If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...