X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alfa1
    • Dec 2005
    • 3.8.x

How to create a test forum?

I want to create a test forum in order to be able to test add ons and template edits out, before bringing them to a live forum.

What is the best way to accomplish this?

- Is it wise to run a separate database for the test forum?
    - Do I need to do a new install in the test folder?
    I buy 420 forums
  • NathanLedet
    • Nov 2005
    • 3.6.x

I typically set up a separate database and a separate folder. As far as I am aware, your license allows you to run more than one instance of the software, as long as it's being used on the same domain name...

for instance, this is my live forum:

mysite.com/forum

and this is my test forum:

mysite.com/testforum

I would recommend setting up a separate folder and database.

Yes, you would probably need to do a set up in your test folder as well...but think of it this way, the more times you run the installation, the easier it becomes. The first forum I ever set up took me 5 hours, because I had no idea what I was doing...I've installed so many since then and learned all the techniques, now it takes me less than 15 minutes. The more you do it, the more comfortable you become with it. Good luck with everything

Comment

• Loco.M
      • Mar 2005
      • 3.5.x

you'll want to pass protect that folder as well
      -- Web Developer for hire
      ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• Alfa1
        • Dec 2005
        • 3.8.x

OK, I've done that. Now how do I import the database?

I see that normally telnet/SSH are the preferred option. But since I need to import the database from within the same server/local_host, I assume there is an easier option.
        I buy 420 forums

Comment

• DelphiVillage
          • Apr 2002
          • 4.1.x

Originally posted by NathanLedet
          I typically set up a separate database and a separate folder. As far as I am aware, your license allows you to run more than one instance of the software, as long as it's being used on the same domain name...

for instance, this is my live forum:

mysite.com/forum

and this is my test forum:

mysite.com/testforum

I would recommend setting up a separate folder and database.

Yes, you would probably need to do a set up in your test folder as well...but think of it this way, the more times you run the installation, the easier it becomes. The first forum I ever set up took me 5 hours, because I had no idea what I was doing...I've installed so many since then and learned all the techniques, now it takes me less than 15 minutes. The more you do it, the more comfortable you become with it. Good luck with everything
          Wrong 1 licence 1 public (live) installation and additional you are allowed to have a password protected testinstallation where only the licence owner has access and you have to call it /testvb

Comment

• NathanLedet
            • Nov 2005
            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by DelphiVillage
            Wrong 1 licence 1 public (live) installation and additional you are allowed to have a password protected testinstallation where only the licence owner has access and you have to call it /testvb
            noted, Thanks.

Comment

• Alfa1
              • Dec 2005
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Alfa1
              OK, I've done that. Now how do I import the database?

I see that normally telnet/SSH are the preferred option. But since I need to import the database from within the same server/local_host, I assume there is an easier option.
              This is an urgent question. I need to know this as I want to import my database to a test forum as a trial before I do this on my live board. My board is currently broken and I need to fix it.

Please help.
              I buy 420 forums

Comment

• NathanLedet
                • Nov 2005
                • 3.6.x

Please read this here:

It is step by step documentation on backup and restoring your database using SSH, which is definitely the most recommended way.

Comment

• Alfa1
                  • Dec 2005
                  • 3.8.x

I have downloaded putty and tried it, but I can't make any sense of what to do with it.
                  I buy 420 forums

Comment

• aacircle
                    • Jun 2005
                    • 3.6.x

I would like to create a test forum on a separate domain name. This other domain name will be password protected so the public cannot see it. Is this allowed?

Thank you.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      Former Customer Support Manager
                      • Jul 2000

Yes, the license agreement allows you to set up a test board:

"If you have a valid license, you may set up an additional test forum in order to test code, template and database modifications. To make this clear to us and our license verification procedures, place it in a directory called 'testvb' and be sure to password protect it. It must not be accessible by the general public."
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• aacircle
                        • Jun 2005
                        • 3.6.x

Ok, so it's also ok to place it on another domain? Cheers.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...