X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anguilla1980
    • Nov 2002
    • 5.1.x

Please, I need help restoring/upgrading onto new server

I switched hosts and I need to restore my forum and it's backup, it was running 3.0.6

I did a search and get that I need to first restore my .sql backup via SSH/telnet. Then I read that I should upload the new 3.6.7 version and then run the upgrade.php script. Is that right? Since I had all custom images and other stuff, wouldn't it be better to restore 3.0.6 and get it working 100% and THEN upgrade to 3.6.7? If so, after uploading the 3.0.6 scripts, do I run install.php or upgrade.php? That and should I restore my original 3.0.6 files and scripts with an updated config and then run upgrade.php from that or should I use vanilla 3.0.6 files and scripts? I should use mine right, with all my custom images and stuff? Do I then run install.php or upgrade.php?

Well first, GoDaddy does not allow SSH/Telnet so I uploaded my .sql file to the root folder of my hosting account and I'm going to call them to have them restore it to a new empty database I'm about to create.

Second, since I switched hosts, I now have different $servername, $dbusername, $dbpassword, & $dbname parameters. How exactly and at what point do I update this info so that everything will work? This is by far the part which confuses me the most! I mean do I just input the new parameters into the config.php for the new 3.6.7 and then run the upgrade.php and that's it???! Like is there anything in the backup or in the sql database that needs to be updated after restoring my .sql file before I can run the upgrade.php script?

Please help! I am so sorry if this has been covered a million times before but I did a quick search and now I'm starting to freak out a little because time is an issue. Thank you SOOOO much!

Alex
    Last edited by anguilla1980; Tue 17 Jul '07, 11:08pm.
  • peterska2
    • Oct 2003
    • 3.7.x

1. Restore your 3.0.6 and ensure that it is working before upgrading. You do not need to run install.php or upgrade.php when moving servers. Use your current files.

2. The mysql information will need to be changed in config.php

3. Once everything is working, upload the 3.6.7 PL1 files overwriting the files on your server, edit config.php.new to contain your database information and rename to config.php before uploading and overwriting your 3.0.6 config.php then run upgrade.php Delete install.php (if you have uploaded it) and then check all your settings. Make sure that you also upload the images as there are a lot of new and changed images since 3.0.6

Comment

• anguilla1980
      • Nov 2002
      • 5.1.x

So.......sweet! All I do is restore my sql database (I already called GoDaddy and put in the request), and then I just reupload my forums folder (using ASCII & Binary on the correct files) I backed up from my old server and edit the config.php file so it reflects my current info.....and then it just works???!!!

Lots of new images and stuff you say going from 3.0.6 to 3.6.7? Hmmm, maybe I'll just upgrade to the latest 3.0.17 version so I have all the security patches and then I'll build a test 3.6.7 forum so I can create all the new custom images and stuff I need to before doing the final 3.6.7 upgrade.

EDIT: My host restored my .sql file and after uploading all of my old files it worked! There are a few errors which I'm working out right now through the "Import & Maintenance" portion of the AdminCP but it looks like I'm going to be OK! Man I was so worried because it's been 2 1/2yrs since I took my site down. I'm looking forward to the 3.0.17 update and then going to 3.6.7!

Thanks so much!
      Last edited by anguilla1980; Wed 18 Jul '07, 9:19am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...