How can I display another forum on a subdomain ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mihai11
    • Dec 2005
    • 3.6.x

How can I display another forum on a subdomain ?

… using the same license, of course. There should be only 1 big forum, but I want to split it in subdomains because the subject of the forum is different.

For example:

www.test.com – main forum (politics)
    economy.test.com – secondary forum (about the economy)
    it.test.com – third forum (about IT business)

How can I achieve that with only 1 VB database ?

Regards,
    Razvan M.
  • Floris
    • Dec 2001

If they appear as separate forums, then you will require a license for each instance.

Otherwise you can just make a subdomain that is an alias to that category. So when they enter the category it changes to the main forum url (true url) from where they can continue to use the forum as normal.

The subdomain is basically a shortcut then. This won't require additional licenses.

Comment

• mihai11
      • Dec 2005
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Floris
      If they appear as separate forums, then you will require a license for each instance.
      They will have the same look & fell and they will share the SAME database. I already discussed this with a VB team member some 2 years ago and he told me that I only need 1 license if I am using 1 VB database. I hope that nothing has changed in the meantime.

Otherwise you can just make a subdomain that is an alias to that category. So when they enter the category it changes to the main forum url (true url) from where they can continue to use the forum as normal.

The subdomain is basically a shortcut then. This won't require additional licenses.
      I am not sure that I understand this. Please give me an example of a forum that is using this technique.

To be more clear: I want each subdomain to have its own "mainforum" page. If I have the following structure:

test.com - main forum
      it.test.com - IT forum

The forums from "it.test.com" will not be displayed on the "mainforum" page of "test.com". They will only be displayed on "it.test.com".

Regards,
      Razvan

Comment

• Floris
        • Dec 2001

If you go to 1 site, with 1 set of files, and it shows a different header and navbar, and the subdomain forum doesn't show on the main site, this is considered a different instance. Yes, you require a different license for it.

Comment

• mihai11
          • Dec 2005
          • 3.6.x

If you go to 1 site, with 1 set of files, and it shows a different header and navbar, and the subdomain forum doesn't show on the main site, this is considered a different instance. Yes, you require a different license for it.

I see ... I still have unused licenses so I can fulfill the requirements without paying more.

The big question is HOW DO I DO IT ?

I want all the VB instances to share the same database because I want the user pool to be the same. The user can register on any board and he will be automatically registered to *all* boards. This is the most important aspect. Is this achievable with the stock VB ?

Regards,
          Razvan

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

You have to customize the source code or use a use a plugin.

You have to point all the config.php files to the same database.

And set the forums up to show or not show. You can set a forum up to not show on forumhome, but still be active if the url is known. The sub domain can take care of that.

A plugin can then catch which domain you're coming from and load the right url.

Customizations like these fall outside the default vBulletin support, and you're best of checking vBulletin.org for this.

Comment

• mihai11
              • Dec 2005
              • 3.6.x

You have to customize the source code or use a use a plugin.

You have to point all the config.php files to the same database.

And set the forums up to show or not show. You can set a forum up to not show on forumhome, but still be active if the url is known. The sub domain can take care of that.

A plugin can then catch which domain you're coming from and load the right url.

Customizations like these fall outside the default vBulletin support, and you're best of checking vBulletin.org for this.

How about this:
              1) I am doing completely different installations on the *same* database (using different prefixes for tables)
              2) I am altering one of the installations to read / write the same tables as the other installation for everything that is user-related (login, private messages aso)

What do you think of it ? Do you know any plugin that can blend 2 VB instances in this way ?

Comment

• Floris
                • Dec 2001

What you need is this in my opinion.

Install vBulletin on the database once, use that set of files, duplicate on all the dirs for the sub domains.

And you're done.

Don't install it multiple times. Once is enough.

Now use .htaccess to catch the host you're coming from, and point to the right forumdisplay instead of index.php

A plugin can then be used to use the right forum cookie, path, etc.

Example:
                vBulletin-Fans.com > 1 global announcement forum, 1 content specific forum that only shows on vbfans
                vbulletin-chat.com > same set of files, same database (no second install), the same announcement forum, and not the vbfans forum, but the content specific vbchat forum.

This are two different looking forums, so each url uses one license.
                So yes, it's possible. We use 1 set of files, 1 database install, 1 .htaccess file and a custom written private plugin.

You can probably do the same with some help from the vborg community.

Comment

• mihai11
                  • Dec 2005
                  • 3.6.x

What you need is this in my opinion.

Install vBulletin on the database once, use that set of files, duplicate on all the dirs for the sub domains.

And you're done.

Don't install it multiple times. Once is enough.

Now use .htaccess to catch the host you're coming from, and point to the right forumdisplay instead of index.php

A plugin can then be used to use the right forum cookie, path, etc.

Example:
                  vBulletin-Fans.com > 1 global announcement forum, 1 content specific forum that only shows on vbfans
                  vbulletin-chat.com > same set of files, same database (no second install), the same announcement forum, and not the vbfans forum, but the content specific vbchat forum.

This are two different looking forums, so each url uses one license.
                  So yes, it's possible. We use 1 set of files, 1 database install, 1 .htaccess file and a custom written private plugin.

You can probably do the same with some help from the vborg community.
                  Great ! This is exactly what I need.

Are you willing to sell the plugin ?

Comment

• Floris
                    • Dec 2001

We only sell it to high traffic sites who're willing to purchase the encoded version with a support contract. Mail me if you are interested, but .. basically: no, we dont' sell it. It makes our network more unique at this point. I am sure users on vborg have also achieved this in a few different ways.

Comment

• mihai11
                      • Dec 2005
                      • 3.6.x

We only sell it to high traffic sites who're willing to purchase the encoded version with a support contract. Mail me if you are interested, but .. basically: no, we dont' sell it. It makes our network more unique at this point. I am sure users on vborg have also achieved this in a few different ways.

But you are not allowing private messages or e-mails through VB interface ...

Please tell me how can I contact you.

Comment

• Floris
                        • Dec 2001

mrfloris [at] gmail

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...