X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kimmer
    • Apr 2007
    • 3.5.x

1st time site is down, need guidance!

Ok, can someone give me an idea of what is wrong with my site. Go to www.s197forum.com and click forum. Gives me a database error, but this is the first time i've had a problem and need some help figuring out what to do. This is my first forum i've ever done. Please help, its been down for a couple days while i've been on vacation and I just found out.
  • steven s
    • Jul 2004
    • 3.8.x

Unless you changed something in your config file, have you checked with your host?
    ...steven
    www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
    bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
    "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• kimmer
      • Apr 2007
      • 3.5.x

Just email the host, godaddy. Hopefully they can help. Does anyone know of a good quality host for forums that will become large and support alot of connections with a reasonable price?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

For future reference, right-click on the error page and go to View/Source. That will show the real database error message:

MySQL Error : Unknown database 's197vb'

Your database is missing. Assuming you have the correct db name in your config.php file, this is something you will need to ask GoDaddy about.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• kimmer
          • Apr 2007
          • 3.5.x

Dang, looks like the database is messed up. Is there a way to install on a new database, then install a backup file to get back some of the info? Never done this, so sorry for any dumb questions.

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

If you have a backup of the database you could restore that. Otherswise you will have to hope your host can find it.

The only reliable method of restoring a database is with shell access via telnet or ssh. This is because restoring with a PHP script like that in phpMyAdmin can result in PHP timeout errors and an incomplete database. Please see the instructions here:

Note: Some people have reported success with these scripts:

MySQLDumper:

MySQLHotxcopy:

Bigdump (restore only):

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• kimmer
              • Apr 2007
              • 3.5.x

I have a quick question, in the bigdump setup, it asks this, but being new to this, i'm not sure what it is asking for or where I find this setting.

$csv_insert_table = ''; // Destination table for CSV files

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

Sorry, I don't have any experience with bigdump. I suggest checking their website for instructions.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• kimmer
                  • Apr 2007
                  • 3.5.x

Guess I have to hope godaddy can find it. I messed around with each way and just couldn't get anything to work. I tried the ssh/telnet but couldn't get it to connect. Not sure if I was using the wrong info or godaddy just didn't support it.

Comment

• bhanuprasad1981
                    • Apr 2007
                    • 3.8.x

yeh go daddy doesnt support telnet or ssh on shared hosting

Comment

• steven s
                      • Jul 2004
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by kimmer
                      I have a quick question, in the bigdump setup, it asks this, but being new to this, i'm not sure what it is asking for or where I find this setting.

$csv_insert_table = ''; // Destination table for CSV files
                      Maybe I have an old version, but I don't have that line in my copy.
                      Unless you have a good backup of your database, bigdump won't do anything for you. Bigdump breaks up the sql file in bite-sized chunks, overwise you hit limits. But if your sql file is small, it doesn't matter.

There are many, many good hosts.
                      I'll PM you who I use.
                      ...steven
                      www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                      bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                      "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...