• Show
Clear All
  • Wheezy
    • Apr 2007
    • 3.6.x

Switching Domain Names

Ive searched this forum and have found several somewhat helpful threads:

The problem is... I still dont get it! Sorry

I have a forum set up with EX:www.domain1.com and I want it to end up as the same forum (same settings, same everything) but with EX:www.domain2.com

Im using 1and1 hosting and have an option to access DNS settings, but I dont know what they mean or what to change/edit/do. If what I need to do is change servers (via vB manual), Ive already read through it and dont understand too much of it. I dont want to screw anything up or lose any of my forum's current settings. Could someone possibly explain either an easier way to do this or give me a step-by-step explanation via this thread (or PM if you want).

Thanks in advance.
  • JeffJo
    • Jul 2006
    • 3.6.x

You'll need to contact your host company first, because there are some things that only they can tell you.

Comment

• Wheezy
      • Apr 2007
      • 3.6.x

And what information do I need to ask them for?

Comment

• JeffJo
        • Jul 2006
        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Wheezy
        And what information do I need to ask them for?
        Are you staying with the same hosting company? As I read your post it looks that way. I'd suggest simply telling them what you posted here - that you want to move from domain1 to domain2, while keeping your forum the same. See what their reply is, about doing that. They may already have some experience at moving forums from one domain to another, and can tell you in detail how they do it, and what you need to do.

Oh, tell them you're looking for information - only - at this time, and are not requesting an immediate move. The reason is, if they think you're requesting a move immediately, they might go ahead and do it, and pull your forum right out from under you. So to speak. So tell them you just want info at this time, that's all.

The specific information you'll need will be the things to enter in your config.php file. You should already be familiar with editing that file, since you've had the forum in operation. Be sure the database name is right for the new domain, etc. The config.php information has to be right for the forum to work.

Comment

• Wheezy
          • Apr 2007
          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by JeffJo
          The specific information you'll need will be the things to enter in your config.php file. You should already be familiar with editing that file, since you've had the forum in operation.
          Actually I paid someone to install my vB for me, but hopefully he can help me out again with this.

Thanks for all the info! Ill post an update here if I need anything else.

Comment

• JeffJo
            • Jul 2006
            • 3.6.x

Actually I paid someone to install my vB for me, but hopefully he can help me out again with this.
            The things you'd need are.....

1. Knowledge and ability to ftp files. This is actually very easy, basically the same as moving files from one folder to another on your computer.

2. The exact url of your forum at the new location.

3. The values to enter in the new config.php file. You'd download a copy of the old config file, make the necessary changes for the new domain, then upload the edited file to the new domain. Using ftp for this.

If you're staying with the same host company, they should do the "heavy lifting" for you. They should be able to make the domain change, "in-house," easily enough. You shouldn't have to do a new forum installation.

Comment

• Wheezy
              • Apr 2007
              • 3.6.x

The only one Im worried about is #3 ... but hopefully I can get the hang of it. I just figured out how to do the FTP thing last night.

If you're staying with the same host company, they should do the "heavy lifting" for you. They should be able to make the domain change, "in-house," easily enough. You shouldn't have to do a new forum installation.
              I am staying with the same host company. I would hate to have to pay for someone to install my vB AGAIN. Actually, I would more than hate it - I couldnt because I have no money *weak laugh*

Comment

• Wheezy
                • Apr 2007
                • 3.6.x

This is the response I got:

As I have checked, your two domain which is domain1.com
                and domain2.com both have the same content. They are pointing
                to the same directory for your vBulletin software. If you want to
                switch, simply just point domain1.com domain to another
                directory other than the root.

So... Does this sound right? And if so, how do I point domain1.com to another directory?

Comment

• JeffJo
                  • Jul 2006
                  • 3.6.x

The way that sounds, your forum should be working, now, on domain2 exactly as it is, with no further change needed.

It sounds as if the hosting company added the second domain so that it simply points to the first domain content, as the initial setting. That's cool. It means that as far as domain2 is concerned, you should be good to go, with the forum.

But check it. Using your web browser, go to your domain2, and take a look. Is your forum there? And working correctly? Verify that before you do anything else. Be sure you can post to your forum, edit posts, etc, and also that you can find and use the forum admin control panel, using access via domain2.

Don't do anything about domain1 until you've verified the forum on domain2.

Comment

• Wheezy
                    • Apr 2007
                    • 3.6.x

But check it. Using your web browser, go to your domain2, and take a look. Is your forum there? And working correctly? Verify that before you do anything else. Be sure you can post to your forum, edit posts, etc, and also that you can find and use the forum admin control panel, using access via domain2.
                    Yes, I can access my forum at the domain2.com web address. Everything is there - forums, threads, posts, members, everything. I can log into the Admin CP and use it just like I did with domain1.com. I can also post threads, posts and everything on the forum with domain2.com

So now... how do I point domain1.com to another directory? I would eventually like to use phpbb for the domain1.com forums.

Comment

• JeffJo
                      • Jul 2006
                      • 3.6.x

Yes, I can access my forum at the domain2.com web address. Everything is there ...
                      That's good news.

So now... how do I point domain1.com to another directory? ...
                      I guess you'll probably have to go into your web host control panel, that they provide for administering your website. You'd have to get the info from them, on how to use their control panel. Look around for a FAQ or something on that on your host's website, somewhere in their support area, I suppose. If you don't find the instructions already there, ask them.

You'll need to have another directory. It's like a folder. You should be able to use ftp to create another folder and put files in it.

... I would eventually like to use phpbb for the domain1.com forums.
                      phpbb? Sorry to hear you're that desperate.

Comment

• Wheezy
                        • Apr 2007
                        • 3.6.x

Ive pointed my domain1.com address to another directory other than the root, and they are now two separate domains with different content. Well sorta... now the problem is trying to figure out how to install phpbb3 on my domain1.com address.

Thanks JeffJo for all your help!

Comment

• JeffJo
                          • Jul 2006
                          • 3.6.x

You're certainly welcome, Wheezy.

Did you update your Member info with the new url for your vB forum, on your domain2? They like to have it up to date, where the authorized vB installations are. After you've gone through this, and got it working, I don't want you to get in trouble.

Comment

• Wheezy
                            • Apr 2007
                            • 3.6.x

Thanks for the reminder! I just updated it now, so everything should be good

Youve been such a great help.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...