How to remove "Last edited by"?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Feb 2007

How to remove "Last edited by"?

How to remove the "Last edited by" line - it does not appear when you edit the post as moderator?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

This is a Usergroup setting:

Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager -> Edit Usergroup -> Show edited by note on edited messages?

Note: Changing this is not retroactive to existing posts.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Feb 2007

I know but it would be a good idea if the line can be edited by a moderator.

Comment

• Feb 2007

So there is no way to remove the line easily once it was added to the post?

Comment

• Steve Machol
          • Jul 2000

To remove it, re-edit the post.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Feb 2007

It doesn't always work.
            I had a guest post, it was edited by another user with such rights (not a moderator) which left the line - which was unexpected as the (secondary) group that user was in, was set to leave no note. Then the post was edited by administrator but the note was not removed. I had to set the administrator group to leave the note, then to edit the post in order to replace the note and then to set the administrtor group to not leave notes again and then to edit the post again.

Comment

• Justice
              • May 2000
              • 2.0.x

Yeah, if you have "edited by" set to no as an admin, it's completely ignored if you're part of a secondary group. Not sure why that is.

Shouldn't admins be the highest priority, especially for settings like this that are primarily used by admins? It's bizarre that a random secondary group overrides the admin usergroup settings.
              "Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did."
              - Mark Twain

Comment

• Feb 2007

I have read that except for banned usergroups, a Yes will always override a No. Which is not the best because I think the priority should be based on usergroup priority order instead of on Yes or No.

I also found out that editing the reason could help too.
                Last edited by 001; Wed 10 Oct '07, 8:56am.

Comment

• directprint
                  • Jun 2006
                  • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Justice
                  Yeah, if you have "edited by" set to no as an admin, it's completely ignored if you're part of a secondary group. Not sure why that is.

Shouldn't admins be the highest priority, especially for settings like this that are primarily used by admins? It's bizarre that a random secondary group overrides the admin usergroup settings.
                  Of course it should be ignored, I don't understand why that setting is not based on the primary group.

I was searching for the answer as to why edited by starting appearing for admin, I found my answer here....thanks
                  Steve from downunder - Bikes and Scooter Forum
                  Thanks to Jelsoft for VBulletin...

Comment

• Feb 2007

Originally posted by directprint
                    I don't understand why that setting is not based on the primary group.
                    If it is based on primary group, what would be the sense to create another group if the primary will always override it? There should be something like group priority setting. However if this is implemented, all old settings will start to function in a different way.

Comment

• doubleclick
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                      To remove it, re-edit the post.
                      Just tried this, and it still shows. Just changes the time of the edit.

For existing posts, I went into phpMyAdmin, opened the vbeditlog table and deleted all the edited bys.

Then, (having previously set Admin CP -> Usergroups -> Usergroup Manager -> Edit Usergroup -> Show edited by note on edited messages? to no, I edited a post as administrator.

Logged out, logged into a regular user, and there is the edited by line!

What am I missing here?

DC
                      Last edited by doubleclick; Mon 15 Oct '07, 8:54am.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                        • Jul 2000

The only way this could happen is if you are in multiple usergroups and one of them still has this turned on, or you have installed a modification that is causing this.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Feb 2007

If a message already has the note, it seems only the same user can remove it, even admin can not remove it. Admin should first edit the message leaving a new note and then to edit it again to remove the note, changing the Administrator usergroup settings two times in order to do this.

Comment

• doubleclick
                            • Jun 2004

Steve-

Thanks for the help.

DC
                            Last edited by doubleclick; Tue 16 Oct '07, 8:00am.

Comment

• webghey
                              • May 2005

has anyone determined if this is a hack causing the edited by message to show? I have admins, mods,supermods that have no secondary groups - edited by is showing on their posts: set to NO in usergroups

Last edited by webghey; Thu 15 Nov '07, 1:16pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...