X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andy R
    • Mar 2002
    • 3.6.x

Reputation running wild...

I have a forum where members have 30,000+ posts and the reputation system is running wild because some members are so influential that when they give reputation it allocates too many points to the beneficiary.

I need to simplify the reputation system so people just get one point per reputation. Is it possible to setup the built in reputation system so simply?

If so, then I can update the reputation count for members (since they are all worth one point) and get control of this system.

Thanks for your help with this.

Andy
    sigpic
  • peterska2
    • Oct 2003
    • 3.7.x

You can change users reputation power by changing the settings in

AdminCP > vBulletin Options > vBulletin Options > User Reputation Options

If you set the Post Count Factor and Reputation Point Factor to both be very large numbers then the only way that users will get more reputation power is by the time registered. If you do not want this to happen then change the Register Date Factor to a very large number also.

To reset the registration of your members back to a low number, you will need to run this query

UPDATE `user` SET `reputation` = 'x'

Replace x with the reputation that you wish all existing users to have.

You can run queries in the SQL tab in phpMyAdmin. Or to run queries from the Admin CP:
    Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Execute SQL Query -> Manual Query
    Then enter your query in the Manual Query box and click on 'Continue'.
    To run queries you first need to give yourself permission to run queries in the Admin CP. To do this, edit this section of config.php:
    // ****** USERS WITH QUERY RUNNING PERMISSIONS ******
    // The users specified here will be allowed to run queries from the control panel.
    // See the above entries for more information on the format.
    // Please note that the ability to run queries is quite powerful. You may wish
    // to remove all user IDs from this list for security reasons.
    $canrunqueries = 'x';
    ...with x being your userid number.

Comment

• Andy R
      • Mar 2002
      • 3.6.x

Thanks Kerry-Anne, that makes sense. Since we only want one point per user we will do the following?

UPDATE `user` SET `reputation` = '1' <-- This will assign them 1 point of rep power

Then we will need to recalculate the amount of reputation members have earned over the years. Is there a script we can run to update this (at a value of 1 per post) or is that something I will need to create?

Thanks again for you help!
      sigpic

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

That will assign them one point of reputation, not reputation power.

Comment

• Andy R
          • Mar 2002
          • 3.6.x

Ok, so what do I need to run to assign each member 1 point of reputation power?

Once the power has been set, how do I recalculate their reputation to reflect the static reputation power value?
          sigpic

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

I dont think its currently possible by default to work out a specific set number of reputation for non adminsitrative users. Doing that would require custom coding.

Comment

• scorpio24
              • Nov 2006

This mod will allow you to place a cap on how many points can be given or taken with one vote..no matter what the voters power is.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...