I can't remember where I saw this, but, what does 127.0.0.1 showing up in Online user

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fungsten
    • Apr 2006

I can't remember where I saw this, but, what does 127.0.0.1 showing up in Online user

I noticed that in my online users that there was 127.0.0.1. I clicked on it and it just said "www" and the rest of it was blank. [I understand what 127.0.0.1 is in a network, etc., but why would it show up in Online Users?]

Thank you in advance.
  • Cary
    • Apr 2002
    • 3.6.x

Another name for 127.0.0.1 is localhost. Normally it points to your local server on your computer. For example, if were to try to connect to 127.0.0.1 via Telnet, SSH, FTP, you would essentially be connecting to your own machine.

So, in other words, 127.0.0.1 is you.

Comment

• Fungsten
      • Apr 2006

True but, ...

why doesn't it show up all the time? Thanks. I can always see my own IP Address.

Originally posted by Cary
      Another name for 127.0.0.1 is localhost. Normally it points to your local server on your computer. For example, if were to try to connect to 127.0.0.1 via Telnet, SSH, FTP, you would essentially be connecting to your own machine.

So, in other words, 127.0.0.1 is you.

Comment

• Bat21
        • Jan 2003
        • 4.2.X

Maybe it's someone from your hosting provider logging on to your site localy (i.e. from your server console)

Comment

• Fungsten
          • Apr 2006

It could very well be.

Originally posted by Bat21
          Maybe it's someone from your hosting provider logging on to your site localy (i.e. from your server console)
          Sounds about the right time it showed up too. Thanks!

Comment