Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bmc
    • Apr 2005

Email SMTP Settings for Gmail?

I seem to have gotten this to work, so I've edited this out.
    Last edited by bmc; Sat 21 Apr '07, 11:44am. Reason: I got it to work properly
    The Relationship Forum
    The Relationship Forum is the best online forum for getting advice and help about romantic and non-romantic relationships, dating and marriage advice, and love.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

I am not aware of them allowing their SMTP server to be used like this, but this is something you will need to contact gmail about.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• bmc
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      I am not aware of them allowing their SMTP server to be used like this, but this is something you will need to contact gmail about.
      I found this vBulletin Help Document, modified the settings to match that picture, and it worked!

The Relationship Forum
      The Relationship Forum is the best online forum for getting advice and help about romantic and non-romantic relationships, dating and marriage advice, and love.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

I stand corrected. I'm still surprised the gmail allows this.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• CheapyD
          • Mar 2005

How is using gmail for your outgoing forum emails working out for you?

Also, I'm trying to set it up and I get this message:
          Warning: fsockopen() [function.fsockopen]: unable to connect to tls://smtp.gmail.com:465 (Unable to find the socket transport "tls" - did you forget to enable it when you configured PHP?) in /includes/class_mail.php on line 536

Comment

• karabulutemre
            • May 2007

Sonuçlar The mailing function returned an error while trying to send the mail. The following errors were outputted by PHP when attempting to send mail:

Warning: fsockopen(): php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Temporary failure in name resolution in /includes/class_mail.php on line 604

Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect to smtp.gmail.com:465 in /includes/class_mail.php on line 604

Warning: Unable to connect to SMTP server in /includes/class_mail.php on line 586
            i have got this error too
            --------------
            karabulutemre

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

That is a server and DNS issue. You need to contact the host of the SMTP server you are using.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• klaus
                • Oct 2001
                • 1.1.x

I use the gmail method for my VB emailing and it works very nice. However, when i receive contact emails they are all send from that gmail account and can no be replied on.

It sucks as sometimes someone asks a question and all you wan to is reply. instead the reply email reads [email protected] @ myforumname

So then i have to copy that info and clean it up and then email the person. big pain in the but when i had email send within my server it worked fine.

Is that the same for other gmail users?

Comment

• klaus
                  • Oct 2001
                  • 1.1.x

anyone?

Comment

• samiro
                    • Mar 2006

i get this error
                    Code:
                    [B]Warning[/B]: fsockopen() [[URL="http://www.bwoman.co.il/forums/admincp/function.fsockopen"][COLOR=#0000ff]function.fsockopen[/COLOR][/URL]]: php_network_getaddresses: gethostbyname failed in [B]\includes\class_mail.php[/B] on line [B]604[/B]

[B]Warning[/B]: fsockopen() [[URL="http://www.bwoman.co.il/forums/admincp/function.fsockopen"][COLOR=#0000ff]function.fsockopen[/COLOR][/URL]]: unable to connect to [EMAIL="[email protected]"][email protected][/EMAIL]:465 in [B]\includes\class_mail.php[/B] on line [B]604[/B]

[B]Warning[/B]: Unable to connect to SMTP server in [B]\includes\class_mail.php[/B] on line [B]586[/B]
                    what to tell the server admin to do ?
                    thank you !

i have open ssl enabled
                    Last edited by samiro; Tue 25 Mar '08, 3:50am.
                    My Women's Forums:

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      • Jul 2000

As per post #7 you need to contact both hosts to troubleshoot this.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• samiro
                        • Mar 2006

sending email via Gmail is not working...
                        i try and try... nothing..
                        My Women's Forums:

Comment

• kontrabass
                          • Jul 2000
                          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                          I stand corrected. I'm still surprised the gmail allows this.
                          Does it?

5.3 You agree not to access (or attempt to access) any of the Services by any means other than through the interface that is provided by Google, unless you have been specifically allowed to do so in a separate agreement with Google. You specifically agree not to access (or attempt to access) any of the Services through any automated means (including use of scripts or web crawlers) and shall ensure that you comply with the instructions set out in any robots.txt file present on the Services.

This from their generic "terms of use"... Not sure if it applies here. There are sure a lot of resources (bloggers etc) suggesting the user of gmail's smtp server as a "great free service".

I just plugged my forum into smtp.gmail.com and am watching my gmail 'sent' box fill up with 20 emails per minute - we'll see how long I can get away with this

A tip: Gmail will automatically rewrite your "from" address to your gmail address, UNLESS you go into your gmail account settings, set up a new "send mail as" email, and then set it as "default"
                          Last edited by kontrabass; Thu 8 May '08, 11:38am.

Comment

• samiro
                            • Mar 2006

hii kontrabass
                            thanks 4 the tip
                            i set up a new "send mail as" and make it default..
                            now what i have to put in the outgoing etc....

thank you ! i must do this becouse i have problems with my email in my hosting
                            My Women's Forums:

Comment

• samiro
                              • Mar 2006

solved... its work JUST with linux server !
                              My Women's Forums:

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...