Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.R. Rogers
    • Jan 2002

PHP Fatal error

I've been getting several Fatal PHP errors showing up in my Apache log and they almost always precipitate the vB 'white screen of death' problem with my forum, which usually requires a restart of Apache and MySQL to fix. Here's the error:

[client 207.69.137.34] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /*****/forums/search.php on line 1011, referer: http://*******/forums/search.php?do=process

This almost always happens with search.php but sometimes even happens with index.php or other scripts. I keep increasing the memory_limit in etc/php.ini but the error never goes away.

memory_limit = 32M ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume

Any ideas? Thanks!
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

You need to increase that setting to at least 48M.

You will also need to restart Apache for that change to take affect.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• J.R. Rogers
      • Jan 2002

Thanks, Steve. Will give that a try.

Comment

• J.R. Rogers
        • Jan 2002

...And the errors continue.

[client 65.114.252.2] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 50331648 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 524288 bytes) in /xxxxxxxxxxxxx/forums/search.php on line 1011, referer: http://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/forums/index.php

Any more ideas?

Comment

• Steve Machol
          Former Customer Support Manager
          • Jul 2000

I don't see any reason for search to take up this much memory. Have you installed any add-ons?

You also might want to reduce this number:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Message Searching Options -> Maximum Search Results to Return
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• J.R. Rogers
            • Jan 2002

Originally posted by Steve Machol
            I don't see any reason for search to take up this much memory. Have you installed any add-ons?

You also might want to reduce this number:

Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Message Searching Options -> Maximum Search Results to Return
            Thanks, Steve. Okay, I reduced the search results to 300 from 500. I'll see if this helps. The only add-ons I have installed are "Who has visited today", "Guest Tracking", and "Mini Navbar".

JR

Comment

• jasonlitka
              • Mar 2006
              • 4.0.x

I've got a couple sites where it needs to be in the 128-160MB range in order to not return white pages on 1000 results. That's one of the reasons why I switched to the Sphinx search.
              Jason Litka - Utter Ramblings

Comment

• fingerman
                • Aug 2005

I'm getting this error when I delete a post.
                Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 761595 bytes) in /home/xxxxxxx.com/public/vbulletin/includes/class_core.php on line 657

The reason I posted this is because it's the same, but brought on by a different cause. What can I do to resolve this?

Comment

• jasonlitka
                  • Mar 2006
                  • 4.0.x

Originally posted by fingerman
                  I'm getting this error when I delete a post.
                  Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 761595 bytes) in /home/xxxxxxx.com/public/vbulletin/includes/class_core.php on line 657

The reason I posted this is because it's the same, but brought on by a different cause. What can I do to resolve this?
                  It's not really a different cause; you're still running out of memory due to a complex operation. 8MB is really too small, particularly if you're running PHP 5.2.0 or newer (where the default is now 16MB).

Just start raising the memory limit until those errors go away.
                  Jason Litka - Utter Ramblings

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...