X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dendrob
    • Mar 2006
    • 3.5.x

Today's Posts

Can someone figure out why my "Today's Posts" doesn't work. Well, it works when you're logged in, but as a guest it doesn't

here's a Link
  • feldon23
    • Nov 2001
    • 3.7.x

We cannot help with forums that are running vbSEO. Please contact the makers of vBSEO to get support/solutions for the problem you are having.

On a default vBulletin installation, search.php?do=getdaily works.

Comment

• dendrob
      • Mar 2006
      • 3.5.x

Originally posted by feldon23
      We cannot help with forums that are running vbSEO. Please contact the makers of vBSEO to get support/solutions for the problem you are having.

On a default vBulletin installation, search.php?do=getdaily works.
      This has been the problem prior to vbseo. VBSeo did not cause this.

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

This function does work fine with the original vB code and templates and no add-ons.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• dendrob
          • Mar 2006
          • 3.5.x

I disabled all the plugins via config.php and I used an unmodified default theme and it still doesn't work. Do you think the upgrade to 3.6.5 should fix it ?

Comment

• Steve Machol
            • Jul 2000

You're still running vBSEO. You should try asking them for help. As I said this function does work fine with the default vB code and no add-ons. Upgrading should not make any difference.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• feldon23
              • Nov 2001
              • 3.7.x

I go here:
              Best Orchid Information forum. Come and discuss all aspects of the Orchid hobby. Beginner and Advanced forums available. Packed with features. Orchid Gallery, Orchid TopSites, Glossary of Orchid terms, Classifieds, Auctions, Book reviews, member articles and so much more. Stop by and check us out.

and still see tons of modifications at the top, left, and bottom. And the site is VERY slow for me.

And most importantly, the URLs of the forums are things like:
              Best Orchid Information forum. Come and discuss all aspects of the Orchid hobby. Beginner and Advanced forums available. Packed with features. Orchid Gallery, Orchid TopSites, Glossary of Orchid terms, Classifieds, Auctions, Book reviews, member articles and so much more. Stop by and check us out.

etc. which tells me that vBSEO is still running and your .htaccess file modifications are still in place.

Have you asked for help at vBSEO.com?

Comment

• dendrob
                • Mar 2006
                • 3.5.x

I'm on a shared host, sometimes it's fast and sometimes it's slow... I'm not at the level of a dedicated server yet. Anyhow, I spoke to VBSEO and disabled their hack and I get the same thing. What else is left to try? I'd gladly pay to get this resolved.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  • Jul 2000

Since 'sometimes it's fast and sometimes it's slow' this is a good indication that it's either a server issue or an Internet connction issue.

Do a traceroute the next time it's slow. If that does not show any problems then the next step is to contact your host. You may be on an overloaded server.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• feldon23
                    • Nov 2001
                    • 3.7.x

vBSEO has NOT been disabled on your site. There is NOTHING we can do to help until you reverse the changes to your .htaccess file and disable vBSEO.

Comment

• aam
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by dendrob
                      Can someone figure out why my "Today's Posts" doesn't work. Well, it works when you're logged in, but as a guest it doesn't
                      Based on what you have said I don't think it is vBSEO.

It may not fix things for you, but before you do anything else have a look at your configuration options for search under the ACP.

As you said the problems occurs only for guests, check in two places.

1. ACP > usergroups > usergroup manager > unregistered / not logged in.
                      Check the "forum searching permissions" and make sure "can search forums" is set to yes.

2. ACP > forums & moderators > forum permissions.
                      For each forum that you have made any custom changes to, for unregisistered / not logged in, check that the "forum searching permissions" are once again set to yes for "can search forums".

It is important to check in both places, or otherwise it still may not work. For example, if you only set yes for search forums under usergroups, the settings under forum permissions (if set to no) will overide these. Under these circumstances, even though a guest can see and use the link for today's posts, no new posts will be shown.

I hope this helps.

Comment

• dendrob
                        • Mar 2006
                        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                        Since 'sometimes it's fast and sometimes it's slow' this is a good indication that it's either a server issue or an Internet connction issue.

Do a traceroute the next time it's slow. If that does not show any problems then the next step is to contact your host. You may be on an overloaded server.
                        Thanks, I'll look into it. Typically it's server load though.

Originally posted by feldon23
                        vBSEO has NOT been disabled on your site. There is NOTHING we can do to help until you reverse the changes to your .htaccess file and disable vBSEO.
                        It's not VBSEO !!!

Originally posted by aam
                        Based on what you have said I don't think it is vBSEO.

It may not fix things for you, but before you do anything else have a look at your configuration options for search under the ACP.

As you said the problems occurs only for guests, check in two places.

1. ACP > usergroups > usergroup manager > unregistered / not logged in.
                        Check the "forum searching permissions" and make sure "can search forums" is set to yes.

2. ACP > forums & moderators > forum permissions.
                        For each forum that you have made any custom changes to, for unregisistered / not logged in, check that the "forum searching permissions" are once again set to yes for "can search forums".

It is important to check in both places, or otherwise it still may not work. For example, if you only set yes for search forums under usergroups, the settings under forum permissions (if set to no) will overide these. Under these circumstances, even though a guest can see and use the link for today's posts, no new posts will be shown.

I hope this helps.
                        AAM You are the man !!!! YUP! I had my forums not configured to be searchable under forum permissions !!! All is working now, thanks a bundle, it's very much appreciated ! Told you, it wasn't VBSEO

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...