Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tomzl
    • Nov 2005

Daylight saving time doesn't update

I'm having big problems trying to display the correct time for my users. I have set the time zone for all to GMT+1. Since today one hour should be added to the GMT+1 zone because DST is in effect.

As a test I created a new user. By default the value "Automatically detect DST settings" is selected for all new users. Despite this the time displayed for the new user did not account for the DST. In effect the time should show GMT+2 but it was still showing GMT+1.

I started a new thread with this test user account and vBulletin did not correct the time. I logged out and logged in again and still the automatic DST change did not work. After I clicked on the User CP link in the navbar the time corrected itself. Obviously the automatic detection script is not working properly but somehow clicking on User CP link triggers it?

How can I change the DST detect settings to "DST corrections always On" for all the users (already registered and those who will register in the future)?

What do I have to do so that all my users will have the correct time displayed on the forum? Having them all go to User CP to have correct time displayed is not acceptable.
  • peterska2
    • Oct 2003
    • 3.7.x

This does not happen with a default vBulletin installation and so is something linked to a customization that you have made of your site.

To troubleshoot this, reupload all the original vB non-image files (except install.php). Make sure you upload these in ASCII format and overwrite the ones on the server. Also be sure to upload the admincp files to whichever directory you have set in your config.php file. Then run 'Suspect File Versions' in Diagnostics to make sure you have all the original files for your version:

Admin CP -> Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Suspect File Versions

Next, disable all plugins.

Note: To temporarily disable the plugin system, edit config.php and add this line right under <?php

define('DISABLE_HOOKS', true);

Then if you still have this problem, create a new style and choose no parent style. This will force it to use the default templates. Finally empty your browser cache, close all browser windows then try again. Make sure you change to the new style and view your forums with it. Do you have the same problem?

Comment

• Tomzl
      • Nov 2005

I ran the diagnostics process and vBulletin found 3 files.

404.php
      not_found.html
      lastposts.php

The first two are from vBulletin's impex creator Jerry and the last one is a file I use to disaplay the latest topics. None of these should have any effect on the DST settings.

I am not using any hooks or plugins. The only thing I changed are some of the templates but only to change the look, the functionality has stayed the same.

Is it possible to set the DST default value from "Automatically" to "Always on"? Which SQL query is needed to change this for all the registered members?

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

The DST code is in the footer template. If you modified this template then that could account for this.

Also is the time off or the GMT or both?
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Tomzl
          • Nov 2005

I did modify the footer template but I didn't touch the DST code. I just added two very simple tables (one row, one cell) so that shouldn't have an effect on the DST settings.

I remember that on older versions of vBulletin I got a pop-up notification that DST settings are in effect. Has this been removed for 3.6.5?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

There is no popup in 3.6.x, it just redirects and updates the time. When it is done, it redirects you back.

Did your computer automatically adjust for DST and is it set to adjust for DST? In Windows you should be able to double-click the clock in the system tray and click on the Time Zone tab to check this.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Tomzl
              • Nov 2005

My computer automatically changed the time but some users are reporting problems.

How can I set the DST settings from "Automatic" to "Always On". There is no way to set this value as default value for new users. Is there a problem with this feature or why is it not available as an option? I read through some older topics and the vBulletin team have never answered how to change the default value of this feature.

My users are complaining about the time being wrong. When I look at their profile in AdminCP, it says "Is DST currently in effect" is "No". Obviously the automatic setting is not doing its job.

Please, can you just answer me what query do I need to run to change the setting "Is DST currently in effect" to "Yes" or better yet make the DST changes "Always On" for all users?
              Last edited by Tomzl; Mon 26 Mar '07, 12:57pm.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                • Jul 2000

Please see this page for that and other queires:

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Tomzl
                  • Nov 2005

Great link, added it to my favorites.

Can you please explain these queries below?

I assume the first one sets "Automatically detect DST settings" and the second one "DST corrections always off". What query do I need to run to set "DST corrections always on"? Also, this will probably only apply to already registered users. How do I make the "DST corrections always on" the default value for all new users?

DST Auto-Correct
                  On: UPDATE user SET options=options + 64 WHERE NOT(options & 64)
                  Off: UPDATE user SET options=options - 64 WHERE options & 64

This second set of queries probably changes the value "Is DST currently in effect" to either yes or no for all users. Am I correct?

DST On/Off
                  On: UPDATE user SET options=options + 128 WHERE NOT(options & 128)
                  Off: UPDATE user SET options=options - 128 WHERE options & 128

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Tomzl
                    How do I make the "DST corrections always on" the default value for all new users?
                    This already is the default for new users and the only way to change this is by editing the code.

Originally posted by Tomzl
                    This second set of queries probably changes the value "Is DST currently in effect" to either yes or no for all users. Am I correct?

DST On/Off
                    On: UPDATE user SET options=options + 128 WHERE NOT(options & 128)
                    Off: UPDATE user SET options=options - 128 WHERE options & 128
                    There are three DST options:

Auotmaticaly Detect DST
                    DST alway On
                    DST Always Off

The above queries turn it On or Off. The previous Query sets Auto Detect.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...