Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Digital Jedi
    • Nov 2005

RSS Feed - Full Article vs Description

Right now, {rss:description} in the Feed Manager just shows the abbreviated article. Anyway I can get it to display the full article? Thanks you in advanced.
    sigpic
  • conqsoft
    • Jul 2003
    • 3.6.x

I think that is determined by the provider of the RSS feed. Most don't want to provide the full text, because they want readers to follow the link to their site to read it.
    vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

• Digital Jedi
      • Nov 2005

Oh. That's unfortunate. I guess I can make do.
      sigpic

Comment

• DT1014
        • Feb 2006
        • 3.5.x

Bah not true. Simply use

Code:
        {rss:content:encoded}
        Instead of

Code:
        {rss:description}
        Most feeds support this. You can see for sure by loading the feed and then "previewing" it. The preview page will tell you at the top.

Comment

• Digital Jedi
          • Nov 2005

I'll give it a try, thank you.

EDIT: So far, no luck on making this work. It seems the content is ignored completely and all I get is the title and the [more] link below.
          Last edited by Digital Jedi; Mon 19 Mar '07, 9:59am.
          sigpic

Comment

• Tom_S
            • Mar 2006

Same here. I wish that claim was true...It would be nice for that to work.

Comment

• RedTyger
              • Dec 2006
              • 3.8.x

The claim IS true, the vBulletin preview even explains why at the top. But the feed you're trying to pull from must have included it. vBulletin forums have it included, try pulling a feed from here. If the feed is missing the content section then take it up with the provider.

Comment

• peterska2
                • Oct 2003
                • 3.7.x

There are different types of RSS Feeds. The content:encoded is only available with RSS2 feeds, and then it is only if the webmaster has enabled it.

The required elements for an RSS Feed, regardless of format, to be valid are just:
                - title
                - description (usually about 250 characters)
                - link to original

Any other information is optional in the feed.

Comment

• Digital Jedi
                  • Nov 2005

Either way, this information was helpful. Thanks again for the assistance. I think I'm only running one RSS2 feed, so there's at least one I can post fully.

Am I correct in assuming that the required elements (title, description, link) are the only elements I can take advantage of? Like, say, for some other formatting purpose?
                  sigpic

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                    • Aug 2000

Looking at the code for the RSS Poster Cron Job, vBulletin looks for {rss:content:encoded} first and if it is included then it is used. If it is not included then it moves onto the {rss:description} field.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• PcosKat
                      • May 2002
                      • 3.7.x

I have two boards both running the most up to date version of vb. One board's external feed contains a {description} node that is nearly identical to the {conent:encoded} node.

On the other board, the {description} node is only a handful of characters. I've triple checked everything I know to check.

All of the feeds on both boards have been burned by feedburner, and converted to RSS 2.0.

Any help would be great.

I need the {description} node to have more information on the second board...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...