How to retrieving a lost post trough the post cache?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alfa1
    • Dec 2005
    • 3.8.x

How to retrieving a lost post trough the post cache?

Once in a while a forum member writes up a post with great effort and looses it by a forum glitch. Somehow it is gone. This doesn't happen often, but when it happens it is a sad waste of time and effort. It would be good to be able to retrieve such post.

It has come to my attention that the lost post is often cached, because if one searches for words that are only in the lost post, the thread that had the post, comes up in the results.

Is there a way to enter the post cache and retrieve the lost text? If yes, please explain how.

Many thanks in advance.
    I buy 420 forums
  • Jake Bunce
    • Dec 2000
    • 3.6.x

The post cache only comes into play for completed posts, and the cached record is removed if the post is manually deleted.

It sounds like the post submission is not completing? It is not uncommon for the content of a text editor to be lost in the client browser if the submission fails. vBulletin can't do anything to help this. I personally make sure I copy a long post to my clipboard before submitting.

Comment

• Alfa1
      • Dec 2005
      • 3.8.x

Yes, I always advise the same. But how come that it shows up in the search results? Is the text still somewhere in the search index? Can it be retrieved from there?
      I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Jake Bunce
        • Dec 2000
        • 3.6.x

That means the post must have been successful. If you delete a post after submitting it then the search index records might still remain until you rebuild the index.

Comment

• Alfa1
          • Dec 2005
          • 3.8.x

Yes, it was posted and then edited. How can I retrieve the post from the search index?
          I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

You can't retrieve an edited or physically deleted post.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• WesTurrant
              • Mar 2007
              • 3.6.x

I'm not sure if this helps, but a forum I use has a hack that was done by the Admin. When the user clicks the button to submit the post, it saves a copy of the post into a cookie on the users machine. Then they added another button to the text editor that reloads that post.

If there is any errors during the processing, editing, whatever, of the post, you can just restart a new post, and click the button in the editor and it will reload that post data into the editor and you can try to post it again.

I don't know how hard it is to do something like that. It seems pretty simple. Maybe its something that you could do?

It might even be a nice feature for a future version of vB.

Comment

• Alfa1
                • Dec 2005
                • 3.8.x

Thanks Steve.
                The cookie seams like a nice feature.
                I buy 420 forums

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...