Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Billa
    • Feb 2007

Copying Thread to Another Forum

It's since long I am searching vBulletin forum to find the anwser to my following question ...

Assume three forums "A1" "A2" & "A3"

I created a thread "B1" in the forum "A1"

1) Now will it be possible to COPY the thread "B1" from the forum "A1" to BOTH forums i.e. "A2" and "A3"

-- If yes pl. tell me how.

2) Now after copying if someone will post a reply to thread "B1" in the forum "A1" WILL THAT POST BE SEEN ON THE FORUM "A2" AND "A3" TOO. (If No, is there a way so that we can see it)

Infact I want that this single thread be updated with a post reply in all the forums where I have copied it, I want that even if someone post a reply to this thread in the forum "A2" the other two forums "A1" and "A3" also update this thread accordingly.

Thanks
  • Marco van Herwaarden
    • Nov 2004
    • 3.8.x

You can do this by moving the thread from A1 to A2 to A3, leaving a permanent link in A1 & A2.
    Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
    Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

• Billa
      • Feb 2007

Thanks but your reply is too "short and sweet" for fresher like me to understand.

You are requested to pl. reply to both my points separately and in detail.

Thanks

Comment

• Marco van Herwaarden
        • Nov 2004
        • 3.8.x

You can Copy or Move a thread by choosing "Copy Thread" or "Move Thread" in the Thread Tools dropdown menu above each thread.

If you copy a thread a duplicate will be created, and you will have 2 seperate threads (ie. a new post in 1 thread wil not show in the other).

If you move a thread you have the option to leave a redirect (link) in the old forum to the thread in the new forum. Using a redirect will not physically duplicate the thread, but just create a pointer to the new thread. New posts made in the thread will show both when accesing the thread directly or when following the redirect.
        Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
        Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

• Tourmeister
          • Sep 2005

Marco, is it possible to have the software automatically create a copy in another forum when a post is first created?

My problem is that I have an Upcoming Events forum. Within that forum, I have regional subforums. Many people want to have ALL the events in the parent forum. But a lot of people like having the regional stuff so they can more readily find relevant events for them.

I was thinking it would be very cool if when someone posted a new thread in the subforums a duplicate would be automatically created in the parent forum. Even if the original were just a link to the parent forum thread so that people could click either link to post replies, that would be great. Is this a pipe dream? Having to manually move threads and leaving a redirect would be a real hassle.
          Scott Friday
          Two Wheeled Texans

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

There is no function to do this. This requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• DeathRS
              • Aug 2010
              • 4.0.x

Originally posted by Marco van Herwaarden
              You can Copy or Move a thread by choosing "Copy Thread" or "Move Thread" in the Thread Tools dropdown menu above each thread.

If you copy a thread a duplicate will be created, and you will have 2 seperate threads (ie. a new post in 1 thread wil not show in the other).

If you move a thread you have the option to leave a redirect (link) in the old forum to the thread in the new forum. Using a redirect will not physically duplicate the thread, but just create a pointer to the new thread. New posts made in the thread will show both when accesing the thread directly or when following the redirect.

Well I don't have the copy thread function in the dropdown menu! I'm just looking for it...

edit: I found it. Thanks
              Last edited by DeathRS; Tue 10 Aug '10, 5:19am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...